Pool stained after SLAM

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
I recently had an algae bloom and have been doing the SLAM process for the past several weeks. My water is now clear and I passed the other two tests so I am confident the algae is gone.

However, one of the things I have discovered with my newly clear water is that the bottom of my pool is now stained pretty extensively. The stains are brownish in color and are visible throughout the pool. I have tried the puck test but the stains did not seem to lighten. Since I have been doing battle with the algae I feel like the stains are likely organic so am wondering why the puck has no effect. I don't have any vitamin C on hand to try the other test.

Now that the SLAM is complete I have a full set of test results to share.

FC = 6.5
CC = 0.5
pH = 7.5
TA = 40
CH = 50
CYA = 25

Here are a couple photos of the stains.

muje6yju.jpg

eta3ujup.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts on my options for removing the stains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it is worth, I recently discovered faint stains on my fiberglass/plastic (?) steps in my pool wer from metals. I did not have vitamin C on hand but I had ascorbic acid in my kitchen in the for of brand name "fruit fresh" (it is ascorbic acid used while canning.....just ascorbic acid). I used some of this on my stains in a small area and they literally disappeared. Try the vitamin C test or find ascorbic acid and you will know.

Just picked up some vitamin C tonight and will try the test in the morning. FWIW, the stains do not feel rough so not sure if it's scaling. Will report on the vitamin C results tomorrow.

I did the vitamin C test this morning and the stains definitely lightened when I rubbed them. So I guess my next step is to do the ascorbic acid treatment outlined here:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/2129-Ascorbic-Treatment-to-rid-Pool-of-metal-stains

In terms of quantity, it says to use 1/2 to 1 pound for each 10,000 gals. I have 30k so I'm looking at 1.5 to 3 lbs. my staining is pretty extensive so should probably go for the higher level. I have seen you can purchase in bulk in quantities of 1 or 5 lbs, but have not seen 3 lb options, which would be just right.

I'll need to let my chlorine get down to 0 and acquire some polyquat 60 to prevent algae.

Any other tips?

Follow the advice in the article you linked to above for the ascorbic acid treatment. From your comments, it sounds like you have a good grasp of the process.

Just curious, what is the source of your fill water - municipal or from a well?

I'm just gonna throw this out there... FWIW

You just completed the SLAM process, and the season is just beginning. For the AA treatment you have to lower the FC very low for the process to work - it can and has if not handled properly opened the door to another algae bloom - just wondering if you can live with the stains until the end of the season and do the AA treatment then? Personal preference, just thought I'd mention it.

@BoDarville Thanks for your comments. My water is municipal.

@Frustratedpoolmom I really want the kids to use the pool this summer and they have told me the stains look gross. I definitely want to clear the stains before summer to make it as attractive as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would want to clear it up too. Nothing looks worse IMO than a pool with unsightly stains. If your algae comes back you know how to deal with it. :goodjob:

I'm starting to price out the materials I will need for the ascorbic acid treatment and just wanted to make sure what I'm thinking sounds right. These prices were the best I could find online.

Ascorbic Acid (bulk, 5lbs): $32.50
Polyquat 60 (3 quarts @ $17.99 ea): $53.97
Jacks Pink Stuff (3 quarts @ $17.99 ea): $53.97

Do these quantities look right for a 30,000 gal pool? Seems like a lot of $$ and I almost feel like I'm getting pool-stored again. I do want to get rid of the stains, however.

I haven't had time to treat the pool stains yet and keep testing to be sure they are indeed metallic. I tried the puck test and there was no noticeable lightening. When I do the vitamin C test I do see it lighten if I rub vigorously, but nothing much if I just leave it on the stain for a while. Is that definitive enough that the stain is metallic? I just want to be sure before I invest the money in the ascorbic acid, sequestrants, polyquat, etc.

Any words of wisdom?

It looks like Calcium with embedded organics in it. Does it look worse when it's overcast or shaded, and nearly disappear when the full sun is on it? Scale does that.

If you leave the puck on it for a couple hours, does it leave a white spot? Pucks are very acidic and will loosen scale. They'll also etch the surface.

The way it looks doesn't change that much when shaded or in full sun. Also, putting a puck on it makes little difference. Here is a pic of how it looks currently:

yrymy9ep.jpg

My current test results are:

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.5
CH 50
TA 50
CYA 25

Water is crystal clear.

Working on getting up to 40 range on the CYA using the sock method.

I know once I start the AA treatment I will need to get FC down to zero and bring my Ph down closer to 7. Any other recommendations for tweaking the water before the AA?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.