Newbie Starting Up Pool 1st Time

May 5, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
Ok, so my TF-100 kit is in the mail. Our pool should be installed tomorrow and filling will begin tomorrow night, if everything goes as planned.
I know I will need to test our faucet water to get a baseline and know how much bleach to add. My question is this: I assume that I will have a CYA level of 0 and that I should raise that to 30-50 range. I'm unclear on what is the best product to buy to do this. From reading the forums I know that the pool stores are a money pit and steer us in the wrong directions so where should I go and what should I look to buy to being raising my CYA?

Welcome!!

You're looking for 100% Cyanuric Acid on the ingredient list. The product itself will be marketed as "Stabilizer" or "Conditioner." Doesn't matter what you buy, just check the ingredients. As for where to get it, just price it out. Some pool sections of big box hardware stores carry it, some Wal-Marts carry the HTH brand, some Pool Stores are the best deal.

With a fresh fill, it will be easy!

You know you'll need some chlorine, and it's a fresh fill with no CYA, so target 3. Poolmath says that's just a hair over 2 qts of 8.25% Chlorox. You can eyeball that amount!

You know you need CYA. Taken straight out of Pool School: "Cyanuric acid is sold under a variety of names, including Stabilizer, Conditioner, Instant Pool Water Conditioner, Stabilizer 100, Stabilizer & Conditioner, etc. Instant Pool Water Conditioner is a liquid product which is significantly more expensive than the other forms." If you want to stay out of the pool store, look at the big box hardware stores, or even ACE Hardware. Just read the ingredients. Avoid any with Copper/Cupro/Cuprous compounds. It will probably say Cyanuric Acid, but it could also list "
1,3,5-Triazinetriol;
s-Triazinetriol; 1,3,5-Triazine-2,4,6(1H,3H,5H)-trione; s-Triazinetrione; Tricarbimide; Isocyanuric acid; Seudocyanuric acid."
Your pH could be high, low, or just right. It's easy to fix.

Low Calcium Hardness is not important with a vinyl pool. High could be a problem. You should test it, just to know, but if it's high straight out of the tap there isn't much you can do about it, and if it's low, who cares?

Total Alkalinity gets tested to assist in calculating pH adjustments, but it probably won't need any tinkering right away.

Fill it up, get it circulating, and test it. Post results here if you're unsure what to do next. But with fresh tap water, you have nothing to worry about. It can be balanced and swimmable long before the water is warm enough to get in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.