Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hayward skimmer HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

hayward skimmer HELP

Very easy one or so i thought I have a hayward skimmer with a square head plug in one of the inlets that is turned in so tight i cannot loosen it. I have been trying
    to stay away from paying someone $100 to turn a plug out and hand it to me ad "there ya go" Anyone got any ideas. I was thinking of a pair of vise grips , but there
    is only so much room to get some leverage to turn it. Also thought of a gator grip but they dont make a 1 1/2" size wrench. thougths ?????
    In Ground 20000 gallon vinyl basic rentangular with Hayward filter and ancient looking piping system. Cleaned by a mid 2000's Polaris (jose) built in 90's I assume nice to hang out during summertime with the fiance

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hayward skimmer HELP

Does it have a slot in the square?
    If so, just try a screw driver for leverage.
    If not, not sure what to suggest.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

no actually it is a square nub on top of plug there has to be a tool pool people use of some nature
    In Ground 20000 gallon vinyl basic rentangular with Hayward filter and ancient looking piping system. Cleaned by a mid 2000's Polaris (jose) built in 90's I assume nice to hang out during summertime with the fiance

4. Back To Top    #4

can you find a socket size that might fit it?
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

http://www.toolsforpools.com/ part# COP-2

If it's too pricey, you could make something but the time you spend doing that may make this tool worth it.

It's on page 11 of their catalog.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Measure the plug to get a good estimate of the size, my plug was an 1 1/2". Run down to your nearest Home Depot and pickup a couple different sized sockets from what you measured. You will also need an extension long enough to get to the plug and a ratchet too (if you don't have them already). After you get the plug out, return the tools you purchased from Depot.
    Shotcrete 16'x25' rectangular with a half in 7' round spa raised 18" negative edge spillover, med. gray plaster. 9K gal. 3' sheer descent, 8'x12' wet deck.
    All equipment Pentair. 420 C&C, 400K MasterTemp, WhisperFlo 1hp, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo 2hp, IC40 Intellichlor, EasyTouch Wireless ScreenLogic2 Interface, 3ea. GloBrite LED's.

7. Back To Top    #7

BINGO looks pricey for the actual tool. Gonna try to find a socket or gator grip or last ditch effort will be a small pair of vice grips that have a large enough bite to grab onto plug.
    Thanks to everyone helping like to slap the fool who decided to wrench it in there to eternity

One other question to this dilemma i assume counter clockwise to loosen it..???? or am i tightening it even more?????

8. Back To Top    #8

I think a gator grip would be a good option ... 99.9% of the time ... righty tighty, lefty loosey

So yes, CCW to take out the plug.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

ok thanks everybody