Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover - clear really better than blue for temp raise?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover - clear really better than blue for temp raise?

I'd like to get a solar cover for my 15' AG that only gets ~2 hrs of NJ direct sunlight; I saw a site that sells a dark blue, light blue and clear - whcih they say is much better for heating the pool.

Anyone have any expereince - the price is twice as much but I'm wondering pros and cons of long-term use.

http://www.waterwarehouse.com/solar/Sol ... overs.html

http://www.waterwarehouse.com/solar/Sol ... overs.html

thanks for your help!
    Lou
    Thanks,
    Lou

* 15' round x 42" high, AG Intex Easy Set Pool (saving-up for a real pool and finding the right location)
    * 800 gallon per hour (3028.33 L/hr) water filtration pump (filter cartridge)
    * 3,284 gallons (12,431 L) at 80% full
    * Use solar cover nightly (dark blue this yr but will buy clear next time around)
    * 30 gauge sidewalls that are made with 3 separate layers of material
    >> NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com <<

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover - clear really better than blue for temp raise?

I have this one. It cost the same as what my local pool supply wanted for the blue. A blue one lasted us 2 yrs. I am on yr 2 with the clear diamond and its in good shape. The guy at Leisure living did say if I keep my pH balanced it would last longer. And it gets the water hotter faster too. When we have sunny days it can get to 90+ degrees. I had to take it off one weekend to cool the water down. Its down now because we have had rain and not so hot days. When I have to replace it will be the diamond, it is my only source of heat for the pool.

http://www.poolsupplies.com/covers/diam ... covers.asp

3. Back To Top    #3

The clear ABSOLUTELY works better than our old blue one. We just got our new clear cover about 3 weeks ago (after the heat wave here in the Northeast). Lately our nights have been cooling down considerably and the pool is still about 82 degrees when I check it in the morning. I think we have picked up about 6 or 7 degrees.
    upstate SC , 11K gal IG vinyl liner, 1HP superflo, Pentair DE filter, AE-Ti Heatpump, Aquarite SWG, Colorsplash LED,2 Bubblers, 4 Deck jets, Small interfab slide (3.5'), Coverstar opaque blue automatic cover.
    install completed 7/5/2007

4. Back To Top    #4

i'll third that...IMHO, clear wins hands down
    Using BBB successfully for over 5 years!

16x32 vinyl grecian, Hayward EC65, 1hp super pump, Clear solar cover, Loop-lok winter cover, "The Pool Cleaner" 2 wheel suction cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I wonder something....oh GURU'S....!

My solar cover (cheapie blue) is on when the pool is not being used. My FC is very steady as a result, I usually lose less than 1ppm FC a day, sometimes as little as .5 because the uv rays don't penetrate the blue cover. I wonder, with a clear cover, would the loss be greater?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

There are only a very few specialized plastics which transmit UV light. All the common ones, of any color, absorb UV. So, a clear cover should absorb the UV.
    11x27 in ground, vinyl pool
    ~12,500 gal
    PAC FAB (Pentair) Pinnacle 3/4 hp pump
    Pentair 24 sq ft DE filter
    One skimmer, one return (no main drain)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Due to some recent storms in NJ area, and I got tired of cleaning out all the leaves from the storms/losing the daytime heat gain, I bought the only a solar cover I could find at a local pool store a few weeks ago - It was unfortunately a dark blue cover 12mm for $50 (for my 15' AG). I have been able to maintain 78 degrees consistently even with the recently cool nights.

While 78 degrees isn't warm it does keep my 5yr old from getting blue lips. Next time I'll go clear.....

Thanks again - I really appreciate your replies and this excellent website,
    Lou
    Thanks,
    Lou

* 15' round x 42" high, AG Intex Easy Set Pool (saving-up for a real pool and finding the right location)
    * 800 gallon per hour (3028.33 L/hr) water filtration pump (filter cartridge)
    * 3,284 gallons (12,431 L) at 80% full
    * Use solar cover nightly (dark blue this yr but will buy clear next time around)
    * 30 gauge sidewalls that are made with 3 separate layers of material
    >> NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com <<

8. Back To Top    #8

A better strategy is solar! You can buy a solar panel kit that will attach to your plumbing with a built in by-pass valve for about $200 (for a 10 x 4 panel) or so. I bought one for my brother-in-law, he gets his large Intex into the 90s easily in Southern Mass. Costs a bit more, but 85 degree water is sooooooooo nice!
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am also trying to warm up my Northeast pool since having cool nights and lots of rain. It was up to 86 a couple weeks ago, was great. It has dropped to as low as 76, I think it got to 80 today. I have 2 - 4x10 house type solar panels being fed by a T off the return line and can control how much water is flowing. I have the blue solar cover and use it nightly. If the temp is in the high 80's or more with sun then it seems to warm better with the cover off but any cooler doesn't seem to go up much. I wonder if at the lower temps it would be better to leave the cover on which of course would help me keep the FC from burning up during the day. Experimentation I guess, I'll have to do the clear one next time.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

10. Back To Top    #10

I have to disagree about the clear ones.

I have found that the thermoblanket that is blue/black works the best, retains the heat better, and keeps out much of the debris as well.

I have used others in the past, ie clear and the cheap blue ones and have never found them to work as well as the blue/black one. Its made by a company in Ontario. My local PB sells it for $150 due to me having a 16x32' pool. Has a 5 year full warranty on it.

This thing has consistantly kept my water 8-10 degrees warmer. I have a thermometer about 2.5 feet down in the water and my water is at 85-88 degrees consistantly. I take it off when I get home from work to swim in it with the kids and then put it back on by bedtime.

I live in ND, so the evenings now are in the mid 50s. Hope that helps some of you out there.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/reindeerboy/

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm gonna chime in. I haven't used a clear one. But I had the Silver/Blue one prior to my current cheapy. That first one was sooo heavy and thick I had difficulty manuevering it, but it worked great. Sometimes too good, LOL. This cheapy version doesn't seem to get/keep the water as warm on its own, I defintetly notice my heater was working more with this cover. My former cover lasted 5 seasons, then it just was too heavy for me to get on and off by myself. I wonder if the thickness of these thicker covers tend to hold the heat in better? I think mine was called a "space age" solar blanket or something.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

12. Back To Top    #12

What was the cost for your "space age" blanket? I am curious as I really do use these solar covers and want the best bang for my buck, so it is interesting with what everyone else has come across.

Thanks
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

13. Back To Top    #13

You know, it was part of the "package" when we bought the pool, so I really couldn't say. Sorry!

14. Back To Top    #14

Anyone have any experience with Leslie's solar covers? They are blue: http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 20/I/70793
    The avatar is Spalding from Caddyshack
    18x36 vinyl IG - approximately 24000 gal
    Jandy SHPM1.5 Pump (1.5 HP); Jandy APURE 1400 SWG; Polaris PB4-60Q Booster Pump; Jandy CL340 Cartridge Filter
    (3) 4'x12' Aquatherm solar panels
    Next project, pump sound enclosure and lots of pool landscaping [6tons of stone 8) funnnn]

15. Back To Top    #15

FPM, No problem. Thanks for the response. By the way, what is the space age blanket anyway? I never heard of that brand before? Do you have a link to their site so I can take a look at it?

Thanks
    Chad R.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by reindeerboy
    FPM, No problem. Thanks for the response. By the way, what is the space age blanket anyway? I never heard of that brand before? Do you have a link to their site so I can take a look at it?

Thanks
    Morning I just look thru my papers for my pool, can't find the manu info. When I replaced it last year with the cheapy, I must of thrown out the paperwork too. But I remember the "Space Age" words on the Warranty card. It was Blue on top and silver on the bottom, the part that touches the pool water. Really thick and heavy. I'm sorry I don't have more info for you!

17. Back To Top    #17

dayhiker, I did have a blue cover like that last year and it basically fell apart on me. The little bubble round tabs came off and then they were floating in the pool, in the filter, on the pool bottom, you get the picture.

I just have found that the blue/black cover that I use has worked much better this year, heated the pool when I needed it, kept it cleaner, very durable, with a fantastic 5 year complete warranty on it.

http://www.covertechfab.com/

The above link is the people who make the covers.

This will give you an idea on what I use now.

FPM, no problem on the Space Age blanket. The link above may give you an idea on what I have found to work well for me.

Thanks!
    Chad R.

18. Back To Top    #18

I have the Space Age Blue top Silver Bottom solar cover...awesome! It heats up the water nicely. The company is http://www.midwestcanvas.com

Hope this helps...
    Coming Soon: In-Ground
    Previous: 24' Round AGP, 2HP Pump, Sand Filter, Solar Cover