Pool Calculator Using Ounces or Fluid Ounces?

Jun 29, 2013
Pool Calculator is awesome and I use it every year.

Question about the section at the bottom, "Effects of adding chemicals". Does "oz" mean weight or volume? I'm trying to estimate effect of soda ash on TA. That's a powder and I guess it could be weighed but I always dish it out in measuring cups.

Tried to use the calculators help contact but that email address appears to be incorrect.

Thanks!!!

First, we recommend PoolMath now because we can update it unlike the abandoned poolcalculator. JasonLion (admin here) wrote the software.

Pretty sure the oz are weight for dry goods.
Up at the top you can see the conversion between weight and volume though.

OK. I've switched my link to PoolMath.

Looking at PoolMath, seems that oz for the soda ash is in volume, not weight. For example,

"Effects of adding chemicals" says 22 oz of soda ash will raise pH by 0.1 and raise TA by 3.1.

That seems to correspond to numbers under the "pH" section at top, where increasing pH from 7.4 to 7.5 (i.e., +0.1) with TA = 100 calls for 22 oz by volume.

Oz are weight for solids, volume for liquids.

PH calculations aren't the best thing to be comparing. The upper PH section compensates for the entered TA and Borate levels, while the lower section assumes TA is 100 and Borate is 0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.