Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leaky valve

1. Back To Top    #1

leaky valve

I have a valve that is leaking and would like your opinion on which valve should I replace it with and should I do it myself (I have never dabbled in PVC). Below is a picture, the one that is leaking is the one on the left, but I plan on replacing both. Any help on how to replace is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leaky valve

Where exactly is it leaking? Those unions, unless they're cracked, can't really go bad. The o-ring inside might be bad, and that is a really cheap and easy fix.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

it seems to leaking from where you turn it. I actually found a position where it's not leaking, so now I'm able to vacuum the pool. but I'm afraid that when I open it again, it's going to start leaking. How do I open? Can you point me to a parts diagram?
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh sorry, now I understand...those are the combination ball valve/unions? (I only saw the nut and not the valve stem before, so I couldn't see what you were talking about.)
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Oh sorry, now I understand...those are the combination ball valve/unions? (I only saw the nut and not the valve stem before, so I couldn't see what you were talking about.)
    Looks like it. Replacing with something similar to Hayward Valve

Check around on price and from different manufacturers and Amazon. Jandy makes some good ones too from what I've read on TFP.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Not sure, but it may be fixable. Google "union ball valve overhaul" and you might be able to find a way to replace seals/o-rings.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm considering replacing them with the jandy neverlubes, but some of them have the description that says positive seal and other don't. What is a postive seal and should I get one with it or without?

8. Back To Top    #8

As far as I know, positive seal means it doesn't seep past the valve when in the closed position. Most that don't specify this do seep a bit, especially the hardware store variety. When I shut my valves for filter cleaning, there is a small but steady flow of water through each valve.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.