Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for the best year round cover for El Paso, TX

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking for the best year round cover for El Paso, TX

Recently moved to El Paso and purchased a home with a pool--my first one. While I love it, the wind and dust and leaves here in El Paso are a constant, daily headache in trying to keep my pool clean.

Thus, my wife and I were looking for a good pool cover. We are leaning towards a tight-woven mesh one custom-fitted toward our pool, but since our pool is not heated, we would also like to get a cover that raised the temperature of the pool somewhat and I'm not sure if a tight-woven mesh cover would do that. Also, in terms of the mesh cover would it be something one person could put on and take off themselves? Or are they two-person jobs?

Anyway, any help or suggestions, recommendations, thoughts, anything at all would be most helpful.

John Downing
    El Paso, TX

16,500 IG, Plaster, DE filter, Pentair FNS Plus 48, 1 HP WhisperFlow NOT variable speed, 5+ years ago.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Looking for the best year round cover for El Paso, TX

Covers generally just retain heat by reducing losses to evaporation and radiation. So, a solid cover would do that better than a mesh cover ... BUT, if you have a solid opaque cover on all the time, the sun will not be able to heat the water, so there will be less heat in there to even retain.

Also if you are worried about dust, I am not sure a mesh cover would be much help.

You have competing desires and you are going to have to weigh the +s and -s.

BTW, I am going to edit your signature to remove the link to your email that is in violation of forum rules.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!