Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: During Build Process - Cost for additional LED Pool Light

1. Back To Top    #1

During Build Process - Cost for additional LED Pool Light

Currently we have one Hayward Colorlogic 4.0 LED Pool light and another one for the spa. We're going to go with Tahoe Blue Mini Stonescapes pebble and are wanting to have the PB add a second one before rebar is done.

Would it make sense for an additional one to cost over $1,300? I know the light itself costs $500-550 on Amazon but that doesn't take in to account for their lower cost and then running electrical and housing.
    It seems like a bit much going towards profit instead of helping out the person who just paid so much for a pool to be built to begin with.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: During Build Process - Cost for additional LED Pool Light

I recently had a remodel and an intelibrite 5g LED light was bid at $1,131. That was a retrofit into an existing niche, but did include pulling the wire back to the junction box. I am not sure how much that helps, but I think that they are all just expensive.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

on my build I paid 800 just to upgrade from Halogen to 5G LED....so 1300 to add an additional....I believe it. (FWIW, when I got the quote, I thought I was getting screwed...I still kinda do, but I've accepted it).
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

4. Back To Top    #4

When I built the pool it cost a flat $500 / LED light. If you are at the rebar stage then I wouldn't think it would cost more than the cost of the first light. Maybe a 'change fee' to the contract but that seems high to me considering they can still put it in with minimal effort. Maybe they're asking for more if they have to bring a new crew out because the other lights are already installed and it's a second trip for the electrician.
    New Pool: 22 x 35 | StoneScape Mini - Midnight Blue | ~17,500 gallons | Jandy Equipment - Built spring 2015 (click for details and pictures)
    Old Pool: 16 x 30 | QuartzBrite | 14,000 gallons | Pentair Equipment - Built summer of 2013 (click for details and pictures)

5. Back To Top    #5

That price sounds high. A Pentair 5G color change LED is around $550. The light niche that goes with it is another $50. Sounds like your pool builder is charging 2x's for the light. Who's doing the electric for your pool?? They will have to ground it thru the bond wire, to the pool rebar and back to the pool equipment deck. How far from the location of your pool to the equipment location or where the other light is going?

6. Back To Top    #6

We were at $500 per LED light as well and then the additional $200 per light for them to be wired by the electrician.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds reasonable. Light, niche, wiring, conduit....guys gotta make a living too. Some pool builders will add in a fixed profit percentage and then up charge considerably for these things, others will overcharge initially and not nickel/dime you down the road. You'll be glad you have 2 of these - the light spread with one is not enough to adequately illuminate a moderately sized pool IMHO.
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

http://www.troublefreepool.com/detai...l?hilit=corpus