Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not opening to clear water this year!

1. Back To Top    #1

Not opening to clear water this year!

Hi All
    So many posts so many threads! I love all the information, questions, answers, etc on this site. I have to admit though there is so much, I am not always sure I am reading everything so I will apologize if I am posting on something already discussed in the past.

We had a brutal winter for snow up here in Ontario! My deck goes down two steps to the ground. The snow covered my entire backyard right up to the level of the deck. You would never had known I had a pool! Due to so much snow and ice I could not check the pool.

After everything melted away, there was 1 to 2 feet of water above the winter cover. The cover had also come partially off twice so the pool water and water above the cover had mixed. I have removed the cover and the pool is DIRTY!!! I am going to attempt opening on my own for the first time.

Lots of debris such as leaves. The water is relatively clear up top but hard to see the bottom of the deep end. I know I will need to pull out as much as I can and vacuum and filter but is there anything anyone wants to suggest that I look out for or should do?

I understand adding algae control is done at closing and not to bother at opening, is this correct (my pool was professionally closed so I don't know exactly what thy did)?
    16' x 32' IG, vinyl, 80k litre (21k gal), "lazy L" (kidney like at deep, squared off at shallow) shallow 3', deep 8', Hayward sand filter 300 lbs, 20gal/min Mod S-244T, Pentair Superflow VS 1.5 HP Model 342001, Raypak Heater 266K BTU Mod P-R266A-EN-C, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, diving board, Southern Ontario (Canada) climate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not opening to clear water this year!

It sounds like you understand the process. If the water level is high, maybe vacuum the pool with the filter on the waste setting. That will suck up the crud in the deep end and spit it out the backwash port. It will save you some filter cleaning.

Otherwise, it's pretty straightforward. Get the water circulating, brush the walls and floor until your arms and shoulders are in agony, get some test results, adjust pH and CYA as needed (keep CYA under 30 for now if you have to add any) and commence the SLAM.

You are likely aware that there is one company that has a monopoly on Taylor test kits in Canuskistan, and they charge a pretty penny for the stuff. Hopefully you can figure a workaround and get what you need.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would also use your leaf net as much as possible to get the bigger debris out of there. After that let water settle and follow the previous posted instructions from Richard.
    Johnny-M
    Altoona, Pa
    35,000 gallon in ground pool. Lazy L shaped
    Vinyl liner.
    300# sand filter
    3 Returns, 2 skimmers, and No bottom drain
    2hp pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanx guys.
    Leaf net did a good job. So now time to start scrubbing and vacuum.
    I really wish good test kits were more readily available up here !!!!!!!!

Should I add an algae control???
    16' x 32' IG, vinyl, 80k litre (21k gal), "lazy L" (kidney like at deep, squared off at shallow) shallow 3', deep 8', Hayward sand filter 300 lbs, 20gal/min Mod S-244T, Pentair Superflow VS 1.5 HP Model 342001, Raypak Heater 266K BTU Mod P-R266A-EN-C, 2 returns, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, diving board, Southern Ontario (Canada) climate.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, never mind Just read the link posted by Richard "the process" and how algaecides are not so great.

The pool store is also trying to sell me on vinyl shock/oxidizer and metosul (sorry is that right?)

6. Back To Top    #6

Nope...if you follow the SLAM process, there's no need for algaecide.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry