The Healthier Filter?

RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I've read quite a lot on the forum about cartridge v DE v sand and there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to which cleans better or is easier to use. I'm going to be replacing my old DE this summer and adding a new pump and I have three questions:

1) based on my pool size 14,900, should I use a 1 or 1.5 hp pump

2) I've read a DE is healthier because it could filter smaller microbes and that if you have an algae bloom a cartridge makes it harder to get rid of. Is this true?

3) I've already been quoted 1300 for this. Does that sound right?

Many thanks!
Robert

1) Unless you have a spa or other water feature you want a 1 HP pump, preferably a two speed pump.

2) No. Microbes will be killed by chlorine regardless of filter type, and are too small to be filtered out unless they clump together.

3) That sounds high, though it depends on which specific model you are getting.

Thank you! The models he quoted me on where a Hayward Super Pump 1hp ( i was wrong), also not sure if it's two speed, and a Hayward c2030 cartridge filter. I've also read bigger filters and lower speeds are recommended because if you have a pump too fast the debris will bypass the filters? Do you know if that equipment sounds right?

That filter is acceptable, but I would definitely recommend getting something larger. Larger filters go longer between cleanings and slightly improve the overall system efficiency.

Getting a two speed pump can easily save you 50% of you electrical costs, well worth it.

We got a 200 sqft filter because that is all there was room for in the equipment shed. Having lived with it for a couple of years, I would rather replace the entire shed than have gotten that small of a filter. The next time we are upgrading the shed is getting replaced and I am getting a 500 sqft monster filter.

The 1/2 HP pump I have is a WhisperFlo, which are unusually large for their rating. It is actually a larger pump than the 1 HP SuperPump.

The trick with pump sizing is that you need a certain flow rate to vacuum well and for cleaning up algae, but you want a very small pump for circulation. That ends up making a "small" 1 HP two speed just about idea.

found these two. You mentioned 1 hr would be ideal but you seem to be ok with your .5? I cant do the 500 sq foot but the 325 seems a good compromise. How does this set up look:

Pentair WhisperFlo .75HP Energy Efficient Full-Rated 2-Speed Pool Pump 115V | WFDS-3 | 012530 $533.35

Hayward Swim Clear In Ground Pool Filter Cartridge | 325 sq. ft. | C3030 $620.01

The filter is a good filter. As I said, I would go larger, but that is a perfectly reasonable choice.

The 3/4 HP WhisperFlo is significantly too much pump for your situation. It would work fine, but it will cost quite a bit more in electricity than other choices. The 3/4 HP WhisperFlo is comparable to about a 1.5 HP SuperPump. As I alluded to earlier a two speed 1 HP Hayward Super Pump or two speed 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo are better choices. They are smaller pumps, so more energy efficient to begin with, and low speed lets you save an additional 50% off your electric bill.

I misunderstood you! I swtiched to the hayward pump and because of the money, got a little higher capacity filter. Final thoughts?

Hayward Swim Clear In Ground Pool Cartridge Filter | 425 sq. ft. | C4030 $703.41
Hayward Super Pump 2-Speed with Switch | 1HP 230V | SP2607X102S $457.40

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks like a good combination :goodjob:

Just to double check, I am assuming you don't have a spa, waterfall, or other major water feature. Something like that could change the recommendation. But for a simple pool, what you listed is great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.