Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on project.

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on project.

Good evening,

My pool builder is giving me the option of finishing out the zero edge spa with either glass tile on the inner edge or black plaster inside the entire spa. The pool builder thinks the black plaster option is best since it will give a better negative edge. Thoughts? If I go black plaster in the spa but Tahoe blue in the pool will it look funny?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on project.

I don't think a mismatch in color would be a problem...I've seen it in a couple pools and it's noticeable but didn't bother me. If he thinks plaster will give a smoother edge then maybe that's a better choice, though it really isn't that hard to get tile level either.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Met In The Sun,

To clarify the pool builder thinks the black plaster option will give the illusion of a "negative edge"'. It will appear as if water is falling over to the pool. He thinks the tile option will lose that effect.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I like tiles purely on aesthetics... They just look so pretty...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd put the tiles on the whole spa. Plaster will be rough on your backs, legs and thighs while sitting in there. Love the negative edge spa into the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think it would look unique! I'm going to be watching this to see how it comes out!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks laceygirl

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks 36racin

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Casey.

8. Back To Top    #8

Not sure if you would have more of an issue w/ discoloration of the black plaster at the waterline when the pumps aren't running....I personally would go with tile. As for plaster in a spa - if done properly, it won't be uncomfortably rough.
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

http://www.troublefreepool.com/detai...l?hilit=corpus

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks Savela. Wondering if I use tile on the inner most top edge will it seal water properly. I want to make sure the waterline is at the top part of spa. Pool builder said tile does not hold water properly but plaster does. Is he pulling my leg?

10. Back To Top    #10

Not sure what is meant by 'won't hold water properly'. Maybe the waterline isn't as sharp? Not sure. As for having the waterline at the very top....when the pumps are off, the only way for that to happen is if the water is perfectly still...try filling a glass of water to the brim, hard to do....it'll be close though. I'm gonna guess that for a majority of the day, your main pump will push some water into the spa and overflow into the pool, if that's the case, tile would likely work just fine but I by no means am an expert, just thinking about the reality of a dark plaster and an inevitable waterline (however faint) after a few months, even with perfect chemistry.
    15 K gal/gunnite, 600 gal attached SPA, Hayward: ProLogic, ColorLogic LED, Super II pumps, 400k BTU heater, StarClear cartridge filter for, SwimClear cartridge filter . Pentaire: booster

11. Back To Top    #11

Just a pic of a friend's pool...

12. Back To Top    #12

I am now at the stage where plaster begins. The plaster company is expressing concern with using plaster on the inside spa lip. The plaster company says it will crack and is recommending tile to be put there. Has anyone went with plaster on an inner edge like this? Part of me wonders if the plaster company just does not want to try to get the inner corners evenly plaster out.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'd bring the tile down the angled part on the negative edge. Hang it over the return wall about 1/2" and have them plaster the wall with the spa return jets and remainder of the spa.

Todd
    15x36 Gunite w/Diamond Brite(Bahama Breeze plaster), 3.5-6', Pentair Easytouch Automation panel, Pentair 3HP VS pump, Pentair CNC 420 filter, Pentair 5G color changing light, Polaris 360 cleaner w/booster, Pentair IC-20 SWG
    My pool build
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ales-Louisiana

14. Back To Top    #14

We have a very similar design with the negative edge spa. We are putting tile over the whole top of the spa and 6" waterline in the inside wall. Tile should be finished tomorrow. I'll post a picture then.

15. Back To Top    #15

Here is how the spa turned out. The outer wall is 1.5" higher than the inside wall.

16. Back To Top    #16

Do you have any picture updates Sandman?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Casey,

Plaster went on today and they acid wash tomorrow. I'll post pictures tomorrow. 36racin and Northrider23, I ended up going with midnight blue plaster mini pebble at the spa lip as I wanted to get the negative edge effect. This was a tough decision. Your spa looks great!

18. Back To Top    #18

Updated pics. We are going to modify the deck to concrete stamp as we did not like the way the salt stain turned out. But we are enjoying the pool. Thanks to all that helped answer my questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. Back To Top    #19

I'd love to post more pics showing the negative edge but I just hit the quota on the file share.

20. Back To Top    #20

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

See [http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Tutorial]this post[/url] for recommendations on posting photos.
    Or, if you're using a smartphone/tablet, you can post pictures directly using Tapatalk, visiting this site on your device automatically prompts you to install Tapatalk if you haven't already done so.