My pool numbers and request some advice/help

May 5, 2014
by that Big Arch
great site..lurked for a long time here is my data for a frustrating cloudy pool..

24 foot above ground vinyl liner(15,300 gallon)
sand filter changed last year
free available chlorine-9.73
total chlorine-11.23
combined chlorine-1.5
ph level- 7.7
total alkalinity- 106
calcium hardness- 346
cyanuric acid- 39
copper- 0
iron-0
manganese-0
nitrates-0
total dissolved solids-0
phosphates-0
saturation index-0.5
endure-0

pump has run 24/7 for 2 weeks..pool is scrubbed daily and it is as clean as it has ever been

all that has been added is bleach (unscented plain bleach 8% to 12% concentration)..cannot get clear water..what do I need to do????out of ideas may be some DE?..thanks

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing you need to do is get a top quality test kit. Water test results that look like that almost always come from unreliable digital systems that are far worse than the drop based test kits we recommend using.

One question, how has your filter been behaving? Does the filter pressure go up steadily, and have you been backwashing/cleaning the filter as needed?

i backwash when flow is greatly reduced--last night I had almost zero flow and upon backwash it was filthy..(looked liked vacuum water from our rainbow sweeper..light brown in color)..i generaly am at 10psi-12psi and when it hits 16psi its needing to be back-washed..i guess you can say the pressure does go up steadily than i backwash, rinse and I am good to go for about 4 days max

Good, at least the filter is working correctly.

The most important things are to get a reliable CYA test result, and to be very persistent about keeping the FC level high. There are complete instructions in Pool School in the How To section. Look for How To SLAM your pool.

Get the TF100 so you can start SLAM'ing the pool and get accurate readings. Once you're done SLAM'ing, you'll need to do an OCLT (Read Pool School for more info on this and SLAM'ing).

by st louis..slammed it good last night and cleaned it again..can see the bottom tonight..getting closer and awaiting my test kit...its never been better.I have 100% followed the advice here in the How To section and it works and its cheaper that pool store..I am cheap and I like cheap solutions that work

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well its that horrible time of year..yea its pool time..yes i dont like it..thought about running lawn mower into it but my 2 womenz would never forgive me...big shout out of thanks to all of you here...tfp guidlines work great...

Not much new...bought a cheapo 1 speed chinese pump that works great... it is an energy hog but i shut it off when i get the pool lined out...all my womenz do all summer now is swim..actually its quite boring for me as i no longer have to fight with pool water quality...i dont swim so an accident to the pool is always possible though...

Well its that time again when i ponder wether its possible the destroy the pool without it looking like a purposful design....so what has 2017 spring so far brought me....well tornado across the field....10plus inches in rain over a weekend and you guessed it that dam pool is still standing....that being said i shall do what i must do....its time to clean that pool...and so it begins...

Its time again for that most detestable of chores..pool cleaning...one target and 12 guage slug could end this..but i must go forth and make swmbo happy...bought pool cover last fall which lasted a few months..first 50mph wind across field blew cover into adjacent county...TFP makes it all bearable..local pool store ripoff con man has not seen a dime from me in 4 years..so there is that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.