Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My pool numbers and request some advice/help

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool numbers and request some advice/help

great site..lurked for a long time here is my data for a frustrating cloudy pool..

24 foot above ground vinyl liner(15,300 gallon)
    sand filter changed last year
    free available chlorine-9.73
    total chlorine-11.23
    combined chlorine-1.5
    ph level- 7.7
    total alkalinity- 106
    calcium hardness- 346
    cyanuric acid- 39
    copper- 0
    iron-0
    manganese-0
    nitrates-0
    total dissolved solids-0
    phosphates-0
    saturation index-0.5
    endure-0

pump has run 24/7 for 2 weeks..pool is scrubbed daily and it is as clean as it has ever been

all that has been added is bleach (unscented plain bleach 8% to 12% concentration)..cannot get clear water..what do I need to do????out of ideas may be some DE?..thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool numbers and request some advice/help

Welcome to TFP!

The first thing you need to do is get a top quality test kit. Water test results that look like that almost always come from unreliable digital systems that are far worse than the drop based test kits we recommend using.

One question, how has your filter been behaving? Does the filter pressure go up steadily, and have you been backwashing/cleaning the filter as needed?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

i backwash when flow is greatly reduced--last night I had almost zero flow and upon backwash it was filthy..(looked liked vacuum water from our rainbow sweeper..light brown in color)..i generaly am at 10psi-12psi and when it hits 16psi its needing to be back-washed..i guess you can say the pressure does go up steadily than i backwash, rinse and I am good to go for about 4 days max

4. Back To Top    #4

Good, at least the filter is working correctly.

The most important things are to get a reliable CYA test result, and to be very persistent about keeping the FC level high. There are complete instructions in Pool School in the How To section. Look for How To SLAM your pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Get the TF100 so you can start SLAM'ing the pool and get accurate readings. Once you're done SLAM'ing, you'll need to do an OCLT (Read Pool School for more info on this and SLAM'ing).
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

please recommend a reliable test kit..I have been slamming this pool for 2 weeks now (per how-to forum) and heave been very diligent about keeping FC levels high..

7. Back To Top    #7

You can get a Taylor k2006 or the TF 100 . The TF100 is the best value since it comes with a greater volume of testing materials for the FC and CYA tests than the Taylor K2006.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

putting order in for TF100...magnetic stir dillio and that glycerin filled pressure guage...if this does not work I will run the lawnmower into the pool and tell her it was accidental

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

snooter,

We ask for your location so the advice we give is relevant to your climate. "In the ether" is not helpful.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

by st louis..slammed it good last night and cleaned it again..can see the bottom tonight..getting closer and awaiting my test kit...its never been better.I have 100% followed the advice here in the How To section and it works and its cheaper that pool store..I am cheap and I like cheap solutions that work

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome!

Good job ordering a proper test kit. You're going to kick yourself for not ordering one right away when you see how much better things go with your own test results.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Well its that horrible time of year..yea its pool time..yes i dont like it..thought about running lawn mower into it but my 2 womenz would never forgive me...big shout out of thanks to all of you here...tfp guidlines work great...

Not much new...bought a cheapo 1 speed chinese pump that works great... it is an energy hog but i shut it off when i get the pool lined out...all my womenz do all summer now is swim..actually its quite boring for me as i no longer have to fight with pool water quality...i dont swim so an accident to the pool is always possible though...
    -24x52 cameo above ground pool. date purchased 10-27-2008 /purex triton meteor sand filter/ completely rebuilt spring 2014/ 20" diam sand filter/max filter area 2.0/max working pressure 35/sand weight 150 lbs/max flow 45 gpm/1 hp chinese pump (I'm cheap, about 73 gpm) /complete pool tf100 chemistry set/chlorine only except for stabilizer cya approximately 40

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey, welcome back! Glad to hear your pool is still awesome!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

14. Back To Top    #14

Well its that time again when i ponder wether its possible the destroy the pool without it looking like a purposful design....so what has 2017 spring so far brought me....well tornado across the field....10plus inches in rain over a weekend and you guessed it that dam pool is still standing....that being said i shall do what i must do....its time to clean that pool...and so it begins...
    -24x52 cameo above ground pool. date purchased 10-27-2008 /purex triton meteor sand filter/ completely rebuilt spring 2014/ 20" diam sand filter/max filter area 2.0/max working pressure 35/sand weight 150 lbs/max flow 45 gpm/1 hp chinese pump (I'm cheap, about 73 gpm) /complete pool tf100 chemistry set/chlorine only except for stabilizer cya approximately 40