Newbie here trying to maintain my own pool. This is a new pool approx 15 months old. I've never had to drain any water before this, but a recent water test indicates a high CYA level (90) and the pool calculator ways to drain part of the water and replace with fresh. I thought this process would be simple but of course nothing is simple the first time you do it.
Let me briefly go through the steps that I did and then the results. I'm sure someone will be able to tell me where I went wrong
- I unrolled the drain hose onto my lawn.
- I then switched the setting of the main valve (i.e. not sure of the correct name but it's the thing I use to do backwashes, etc. which is plumbed between the pump and the filter) to the "waste" setting.
- I then started the pump on speed 2, then switched to 3
- Water started draining out of the hose for perhaps 10-15 minutes.
- The water level of the pool dropped a couple inches or so.
- Then the water just stopped draining. I noticed the basket of the pump was empty and the pump showed a "priming dry" alarm.
- I then looked in the pump manual and it said to fill the basket with water and re-try, so I got out my garden hose and did that
- Started the pump again and it started draining more water out of the hose for a minute or two, then stopped again...eventually another priming dry alarm
- At this point, I figured that I should have closed a couple of valves before trying to drain, etc. so I closed the skimmer valves and tried the pump again, no dice. (these are the same valves I close when I'm doing a backwash).
- Re-opened the valves, filled the pump basket with water again and started the pump. Water started to drain again but only for a minute or two then stopped again.
- I stopped at this point, filled the pump basket with water again and put the system back on "Auto" and decided not to fool with it any more for now.
So, my question is... what exactly should I do to drain water out of the pool?
Let me post a few pictures of my equipment.
1) Main valve:
4) Skimmer valves, etc.:
Note: when I do a backwash, I close the two valves on the left. I've never touched the two on the right. Unfortunately, the pool builder didn't label them so I'm clueless as to what they do.
Correction: I close the two valves on the left only while I'm cleaning out the filter basket on the pump. This is to prevent backflow into the pool and possible priming dry condition when I start the pump back up. After cleaning the filter basket, I re-open the valves and then do the backwash/rinse cycles.
Also, there are two main drains. One is located in the deepest part of the pool, and the other is in the spa.
For reference, here are a few pics of the pool itself that were taken by a photographer hired by the pool builder.
Thanks in advance for any help,