Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dark Stains - Should Have Known Better Before I Filled the Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Dark Stains - Should Have Known Better Before I Filled the Pool

I purchased a new house late last July that is 27k with a pebble stone finish. The pool was a complete swamp and had to be drained. Once I had it drained and shoveled out I cleaned the pool with a stiff bristle brush and diluted bleach. At that time some dark stains (more on the black side) remained from my cleaning efforts, especially on the walls where it looks like 'runs'.

The pool guy told me that any stains that were left would disappear over time with the chlorine and I trusted that. I didn't perform an acid wash on the pool because I heard it could take years off the finish. Fast forward to almost a year later and the dark stains are still there. They don't look that bad when the pool is running and the water is moving but when all of that stops you can definitely see them clearly. I just opened the pool a little over a week ago and went through a full shock using bleach. The pool has an SWG and I'm about to move to using that system over bleach.

Any idea how to combat this without draining the pool and performing an acid wash? The stains in the one pic look a little darker than they actually are.

IMG_1095.jpgIMG_1096.jpgIMG_1094.jpg
    Last edited by RUSigX; 05-06-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Pics added.
    27K Gal IG Pebble Stone, 1.5HP Century Pump, Polaris Booster Pump with 380 Cleaner, Hayward DE 4820 Filter, Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Heater, Aqua Rite SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dark Stains - Should Have Known Better Before I Filled the Pool

Post pictures: How To Post Pictures

You need to ID the stain before you can come up with a possible solution.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of stains do you think these are? Almost looks like they may have gotten worse.
    27K Gal IG Pebble Stone, 1.5HP Century Pump, Polaris Booster Pump with 380 Cleaner, Hayward DE 4820 Filter, Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Heater, Aqua Rite SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Any ideas on lightening these up, they dont really look bad when the pool is running and the sun is out but are much more noticeable when its dim and the pool is off.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

A full set of current test results always helps us. A guess is that looks like calcium scale but that is a guess.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

My calcium has always been low for the most part, I always have to add. I think the pool wasnt really cleaned good enough when I drained it to clean out all the debris. At that time I was really concerned with trying to minimize the damage to the surface. I just got the salt up to 3200 and started using the SWG again. Here are my most recent test results.

FC - 3
    CC - 0
    TA - 60 (just raised to 70 today)
    CH - 260 (just raised to 300 today)
    CYA - 50 (just raised to 70 today)
    PH - 7.5

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you have any vitamin C? You can test the spot for metals. Doesn't sound like organic...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Let me see if I can find some vitamin C and I'll trying holding it on a spot to see if the stain changes. If it does chance I assume I'd need to perform an AA treatment?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yep.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

The vitamin C took a small stain off right away, do looks like I have some metal stains. Might just try to live with them for the summer and wait to do the AA treatment at the end. Just got the water all balanced up and the whole AA process sounds kind of like a bear.