1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie posting test using TF-100

FC. 3
    CC. .5
    TC. 3.5
    CH. 6
    TA. 60
    PH. 6.8

Pool was green when I took off cover. Shocked it yesterday and now looks clear, maybe a little pollen dust still in pool. Filter is running most of the time. We have 3 live oaks hovering over pool. Lots of pollen!

These #'s are from 10 minutes ago.

Thoughts ?

Thx.

Ed
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Oops wrong CH number

Sorry

The CH measure is 150, not 6. Forgot to X by 25!

Thx

Ed
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Newbie posting test using TF-100

We don't "shock" we follow the SLAM Process and that is clearly not what you have done thus far based on your FC being so low already.

What is your CYA? That determines what FC levels you need to maintain. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Am I correct in guessing that you through a bunch of dichlor powder chlorine in the water and called that "shocking" and that is why your pH is now too low? I could be wrong.

Step 1 is to raise the pH into the 7s with borax.
    Step 2 is determine your CYA
    Step 3 is following the SLAM process.

You should also likely eventually raise your CH up to around 250ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA results? Bring pH up. Read Pool School.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You can find that SLAM process in Pool School. If you will follow that article precisely, you will have a crystal clear pool.

If your water is now clear and you are losing less than 3 ppm or so chlorine daily, there may not be a need to SLAM. However, Post your CYA to give us a better picture of where your FC needs to be.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok let's try this again....hit me if you find an opening and yes I used a cheap a** shock package since my TF-100 had not arrived...can't fix stupid right?

CYA. 60
    PH. 7.2
    FC. 1
    CC. .5
    TC. 1.5
    CH. 200
    TA. 140

This is assuming I did all the tests accurately my second time go-round....

Thoughts/suggestions very appreciated!

Cheers

Ed

7. Back To Top    #7

SLAM away.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    SLAM away.
    Second.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

9. Back To Top    #9

Round three.

Out of town for two days. Wife is pleased to say she shocked the pool yesterday. Used the "bad" bag of powder from home/garden store! Sigh....

Today's #'s:

PH. 7.2
    CYA. 70
    FC. 11. (Wonder why. :>)
    CC. 0
    TC. 11
    TA. 120
    CH. 100

Pool temp.

Suggestions? No I didn't yell at her. Explained why I bought TF100 and the TFP method.

Ed

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Pool temp 70

10. Back To Top    #10

You're getting up there on the CYA now...better hide that shock it's getting you to where you're going to need to replace some water..

Put the powder down and slowly back away from the pool!
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

11. Back To Top    #11

Ouch! That CYA is climbing big time!

If the "shock" you used was Dichlor, every one pound bag you dump in your pool adds 12 CYA and 13 FC and lowers pH by .5. The pH will recover because your TA is over 100. The FC will get used up or burn off. The CYA is the gift that keeps on giving... the pool equivalent of an STD. Easy to get, hard to get rid of.

The biggest problem with high CYA is that your minimum FC level is 5 and your target every day should be about 8. That's above the ability of the colormatching test kit, so you'll have to use the powder and drops every single time you test FC. Your chlorine usage won't be any higher, but you'll need to maintain a higher level. It will make sense after a while of testing, dosing, and reading.

Luckily, your pool isn't very big, so draining off some water won't create a huge swampy mess nor will it cost you a fortune to refill.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

It looks like you have some inconsistent test results. For example your CH started at 150 then jumped up to 200 then back down 100 over a four day period. You might watch some YouTube videos on how to perform the tests to make sure you are performing them correctly.

***I hope that jab didn't sting too much***
    14K Gallon IG Gunite Pool built in 2005, Century Centurion 1 1/2 HP Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Sqft. Cartridge filter, MiniMax Pentair NT Heater, The Pool Cleaner
    Taylor K-2005 test kit with Taylor K-1515-A FAS-DPD Chlorine Test. SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Nah bring it on!

LOL

As to replenishing the water to lower CYA, we have a small leak in the pool so we put maybe 50 gallons or so in most everyday. We suspect the tile grout is leaking and have called a pool repair company but they haven't come on site yet.

14. Back To Top    #14

#4 on the test train

Do not start a new thread for new test results. Please keep them in the same thread. Thanks, jblizzle

And I do mean train!

Here we go:

CH. 125
    FC. 8
    CC. 1
    TC. 9
    TA. 120
    CYA. 60
    PH. 7.2

Water temp. 72

Comments, suggestions most appreciated.

Thx

Ed

15. Back To Top    #15

Re: #4 on the test train

Mother's Day test results

FC. 4
    CC. .5
    PH. 7.2
    TA. 110
    CH. 125
    CYA. 55

Water looks crystal clear

Temp. 79

16. Back To Top    #16

So go swimming!

Question: How is the CYA dropping from 70 to 60 to 55? Have you been draining and refilling?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

17. Back To Top    #17

We have a slow leak. Suspect the tile grout. Waiting for a service tech to come. I put maybe 100 gallons a day in the pool.

Ed

18. Back To Top    #18

Just found out that I've been adding about 200 gallons a day to pool. Roughly 4% of pool capacity. Could that explain the lower CYA?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Emarshbuck View Post
    Just found out that I've been adding about 200 gallons a day to pool. Roughly 4% of pool capacity. Could that explain the lower CYA?
    Absolutely. And that's a huge leak.

20. Back To Top    #20

OK, back from a couple of days away....wife did not shock w/dichlor this time!

PH 7.5
    CYA 45-50 (still trying to figure out when I don't see the black circle)
    FC 0 (nada)

water temp 76
    water clear

pool calculator said to put in 156 oz 8.25 chlorine. I put in 121 to be conservative my first time with bleach. Poured bleach in slowly over my two returns, one in deep end, one in shallow.

Tested 2 hours later, looks like I have FC @ 25. Did I test too early? We get lots of sun here along the coast and it's going to be 77 degrees here today.

Running the pool pump constantly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast