PSI loss between filter and pentair pop up dome? What's normal

Shap

Oct 25, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My filter is currently at a rather cosistent 30 PSI, even after cleaning my filters it ranges from 25-30 PSI. At the dome its reading 10-20 PSI and I "think" i'm having an issue with weak pressure on some pop up valves.

What is the normal pressure drop between the filter and dome?

Thanks.

Is there a valve to direct water to the popups? If you are only sending a little water to them, they won't be very strong, but I can't put a number on a pressure difference. Are you sure the gauges are good? What kind of "weak pressure" symptoms are you having?

It is pretty normal I think to see a difference, not sure how much though. The filter is measuring the pressure before the filter grids, the dome is measuring the pressure after the filter grids plus there is head loss through the plumbing from the filter to the dome.

30 PSI is pretty high and close to the max for many pumps. What is your pump make/model? Does your filter gauge go to zero when the pump is shut off?

Hi there isn't a make/model on the pump for some reason but it's a 2 HP single speed pump.

Right now the pressure is high and the pop up cleaners are not rotating correctly, zone 1 is staying active resulting in weak pressure on the rest of the system and zone one isn't rotating since its staying active. I had a pool service come by today, he recommended new filters and a new gear for the zodiac caretaker system. The filters are from 2007 presumably when the pool was built.

I ended up replacing the internals of the polaris caretaker system with the rebuild kit. It did NOT resolve my problem though. I still have the jets at the deep end of the pool stuck in the on position and the system is not cycling. Any idea what else could cause this problem?

Problem with jets not cycling has been fixed. The check valve was stuck open somehow. I removed it, cleaned it and re-installed and now everything is cycling fine.

I'm put in new cartridge filters and a new internal rebuild kit on the caretaker, however my PSI is still at 28-30. I'm wonder in that is just normal with a 2hp pump running?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.