Sand Filter how to check?

BobF

Jun 8, 2008
Savannah, GA
I have a Hayward PRO Series 244T sand filter. I am starting to see a small amount of sand near the returns. I had a filter with broken laterals when the pool was first installed, and this not near that amount of sand. This filter is on its 3rd season.
How can I check the filter to see if and what the problem is?
Are filters easily repaired?

Thanks

I too have a sand problem.

I am seeing sand at the opposite end of the pool from the return. It looks exactly like a finer version of the sand I put into the filter the first year.

If I was to vacuum all of this up I'll bet it would be a decent double handful.

Is this normal for a sand filter? Or does it sound as though I may have a broken lateral as well?

Yes, that is a question, and it's been asked of me several times too.

But, around the pool, actually no where in our yard, or neighborhood for that matter, is sandy ground.

Leading up to the pool it is all grass. A garden is nearby, but the dirt is dark, black/brown. I can't see how tracking a bit in would end up as a sandy, beach sand, type of product.

Soil here is clay loam.

Rubberbanding a Skimmer Sock or pantyhose over your return (or returns) should catch anything that comes out. If there is sand in the sock, then you will need to investigate into the filter further. If there is not, then it must be coming from somewhere else and you will need to determine where.

HTH,
Adam

launboy said:
Rubberbanding a Skimmer Sock or pantyhose over your return (or returns) should catch anything that comes out. If there is sand in the sock, then you will need to investigate into the filter further. If there is not, then it must be coming from somewhere else and you will need to determine where.

HTH,
Adam

This is a bit off topic, but I've been vacuuming to waste -- and wasting a lot of water -- to get rid of a lot of dead algae and fine particles on the bottom. Do you think this method work as well to catch that or would it get through? Seems like it would do the job.

I'm not sure if the Skimmer Sock is fine enough to catch algae and particles that small as I've never acutally used one. Do you vacuum through a dedicated vac. pot or do you use a skimmer plate? If you use the skimmer plate, then I'd put the sock in the basket so it would catch the stuff right away and not even let it get to the filter.

HTH,
Adam

I have a dedicated vacuum line, but no main drain or I would sweep most of it near the drain and then dump some water. The particles have generally been too small, so if I vacuum with the regular filter settings they would just get returned to the pool. Instead I've been been vacuuming to waste. It's worked well, but wasted a lot of water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.