Muddy Water in Skimmer Box during Open

May 5, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
First time posting here. Pretty sure I already know the answer to my question but I just wanted to see if anyone has seen/heard what I'm currently experiencing. When I went to open my pool today the water level was down about a foot lower than I had left it in the winter & the skimmer box was full of muddy/cloudy water. I'm guessing I have a crack in the main drain line, but I'm not sure how to tell for sure, or what my options are from here. The pool is In Ground & Vinyl Lined.

Is it possible that there was runoff from the yard into the skimmer box? What kind of winter cover do you have, and did you siphon anything off the cover before you removed it?

Also, can you put your pool and equipment info in your signature, and your location in your profile? Geography can make a difference in some of our recommendations.

Thanks for the quick response & advise, I updated my location info and added a signature, with some of the pool info. I use a solid winter cover, but not a safety cover. It is just held in place by water bags. It's possible that it could have been runoff from the yard as we did get 2-3 inches here last week. My concern at first was that when I took out the gizmo in the skimmer the water level didn't drop in the skimmer, my thought being it filled up from the bottom rather than the top. however it did drop once I opened the lines at the pump.

The cover was pumped off and dry when I removed, and we rolled it to the opposite side of the skimmer so that wouldn't have been the culprit. So it my be much ado about nothing, hopefully is, but it still worries me a bit that my pool level dropped a around 6"-8" over the winter. If I recall correctly last year when I opened it it was actually a couple inches higher than closing. This is only my second year with the pool so I'm still a newbie in most senses.

Some solid winter covers are more solid than others. I stopped siphoning water off the top of mine because two years ago I inadvertently lost a foot and a half of water.

Unless you get a better idea from someone else, I'd let it go (for now). Start with the assumption that it's runoff from the year and the water loss is explainable. As you have the pool open for a few days/weeks, pay attention to the level and see if it's still behaving abnormally.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.