A Swamp or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the green

edit: I forgot to mention I found the missing polaris 280 at the bottom of the pool when I got the cover off. It's pretty nasty and has a broken wheel. Before I replace the wheel, can I clean it up and hook it up and make sure everything else is working? I don't want to replace a bunch of parts before I find out the whole thing would be better off being replaced with a new one. I'll try to upload some pictures I have of it later today.

That Polaris 280 is a good little workhorse cleaner. Is your booster pump and plumbing still in good shape?

A new Polaris will run you ~ $450 online, $600ish at the pool store. You can buy a lot of (expensive) spare parts for that.

Soak it in a bucket of water with a lot of bleach until it isn't disgusting, then check out the condition. Plaster pools can cause a lot of wear to the cleaner body and sweep hose, but vinyl may have been kinder to yours. Do the wheels turn freely by hand or do they bind? Do they wobble back and forth easily? If it's in decent shape, a broken wheel replacement (plus bearing, washer tire, axle, etc.) will set you back about $40, worth it if you can get another year or two out of the cleaner.

You can download the manual online to see all the parts you may need, and they have some troubleshooting/setup tests too.

Good luck!

We "moved in" over the weekend. Quotes because our entire house is basically in the garage until the wood floors are done refinishing. That being said, the pool is looking a LOT better, and needs a lot less chlorine to keep it at SLAM levels. We had a lot of rain the past few days so the frogs decided to come out for a swim in their little whirlpool. Here's a photo dump:

0YYap7Ll.jpg

wWxUUdYl.jpg

ZuTCtqtl.jpg

rusPY5Sl.jpg

B5NLcNTl.jpg

ZOY0Gmzl.jpg

Hope you pass the OCLT and have evicted to lounging frogs!

I lost 1.5 ppm FC last night on my OCLT. If we didn't have torrential rains again I bet I would've passed it. I'm never going to get a clear night to do this test the right way :(

- - - Updated - - -

I was right below the middle screws on the skimmer. Now I'm maybe an inch from the top :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.