new pool and deck progress pics

Mar 23, 2013
Edmond, OK
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for providing such great information on this site! I have been lurking for months and finally have some progress to show. The main electric line to our house runs diagonally through our yard so we had to move this closer than the trees than I would have preferred. The positive is that we can connect it to our existing deck so the kids won't run through dirt to and from the pool!

Pool site before:
9637733090_a076b49219_z_d.jpg

Digging the hole:
14136326113_6e2309b4e1_z_d.jpg

2-3 ft hole:
13928897778_e62c2ab628_z_d.jpg

Walls up first time:
13928868697_b4b15a970f_z_d.jpg

So, we got the bottom done and then took the top rails off to adjust them. In Oklahoma. On a windy day. IDIOTS!
14112230621_8cbf499c09_z_d.jpg

Building the walls again. This time with more people!
14112258181_ac83a27998_z_d.jpg

Water:
13928735057_5585e715e1_z_d.jpg

Backfilled, 8 pickups of dirt, hand shoveled!:
14112103561_15203a77b4_z_d.jpg

What happens to hubby after backfilling:
14135395673_3efc8e6002_z_d.jpg

Beginning splash deck framing:
13928664197_05c20b0b8d_z_d.jpg

Kids braving the 47 degree water:
14115242555_7430f02752_z_d.jpg

Framing to connect with existing deck:
14112165032_5ea57aeff9_z_d.jpg

Splash deck side view:
13928575337_f7e6eaaa1b_z_d.jpg

View from existing deck:
13928621188_9a7d541b40_z_d.jpg

So, that's where we are for now. I will add more when we get closer to finished and my yard doesn't look like an obstacle course. :)

Darla

You beat him up Darla! They are such Angels when they're asleep! :mrgreen: Awesome job on the pool and deck so far!

Looks great! We are working towards a similar set-up...

What depth (approximately) did they excavate to for the pool installation? We were originally planning to use the deck-blocks for our deck as well, but we aren't sure what the height of the deck will end up being once they excavate/install. If the deck ends up being too high, I think we will have to dig for the posts rather than the deck-blocks.

This is unfair that in some states they let you use concrete deck blocks and in my county I need to dig 42" deep holes 10" in diameter :brickwall:
By they way. Deck looks good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry, haven't checked my thread lately! We dug at the highest 32 inches down to 24 or so on the low side. It took us awhile to figure out the elevations. I think the deck blocks saved time but we still had to dig some decent holes for the lowest/ground level deck blocks. We ended up with 3 levels: existing deck, patio/main level, and splash deck.

Our pool steps are the "Curve Step and Step System from Confer." It has the main steps and then you add the side curve. I think we like them but haven't given them much use yet. The pool is still a little cold for me! We decided not to put sand so they are just weighted with bleach sand bottles and temporary deck screws.

We still need to do steps, the skirt (to hide deck blocks!) and rails so everything doesn't blow down to the pond where scary things live. And for safety, of course. We hope to do the pool salt and hook up the SWG this weekend if the predicted rain doesn't ruin our plans. I also bought a pool alarm that we need to install. Hubby has acquired carpel tunnel in his arms due to all of this manual labor so hopefully we can push through for the final details. Staining might have to wait for next year!

Some new pics:

14046292850_5e3178292a_z_d.jpg

14046240378_b45f6dab58_z_d.jpg

14046240918_f5f76f8c8d_z_d.jpg

Last edited:
This is unfair that in some states they let you use concrete deck blocks and in my county I need to dig 42" deep holes 10" in diameter :brickwall:
By they way. Deck looks good.

I hear ya!!! We had to do 36" minimum and 18" wide holes. Had to rent a skid just to dig holes. It's a bite.

MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP
Powerline XP Pump 1 HP
Aquaview 17" Sand Filter
TF-100 Test Kit

JUST WAITING ON INSTALL!

The pool and the deck looks fabulous!!!! Love the built in benches!

MermaidMama

Powerline XP Pump 1 HP
Aquaview 17" Sand Filter
TF-100 Test Kit

JUST WAITING ON INSTALL!

We have to do it because of frost heave.

Love your deck Darla!!! We're staying 6" below the rails too. I told my husband that I'm getting to old to be crawling under the deck for the cover to be put on and it will make lined replacement easier.

Thanks everyone :). I was worried about getting the winter cover on too. This just seemed easier for maintenance. I do love the look of over the rails decking but it seemed like too much work! We have a few sections that are right under the rail so hopefully people will migrate to those areas to get in and out. Now the problem is going to be keeping people off of the rail in the center as it looks like a perfect place to sit. I am probably going to put a bunch of plants there as a deterrent. Now I just need more money for landscaping!

I really hope we don't have issues with frost heave here as we have the new deck connected to the old deck which has a traditional pier system. Anyone had issues with that in OK? I probably should worry more about earthquakes the way things have been going lately!

18" wide!!! :shock: . I did rent a skid also. Cannot do it with hand held auger .

Yes!!! It was "code over kill". Our deck is only like 2 1/2 to 3 feet off the ground. If a tornado blows through, it will blow my house apart and my deck will still be standing strong. Ha ha!!! I know it's solid and strong.

MermaidMama

Powerline XP Pump 1 HP
Aquaview 17" Sand Filter
TF-100 Test Kit

JUST WAITING ON INSTALL!

Frost heave would be more for climates that get a lot of snow and cold weather for extended amount of time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.