Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common timer

bpoole

May 5, 2014
Tampa Bay Fl
Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common timer

I've just installed an Intelliflo pump and System 3 filter with my Intellichlor SWG.
Both pump and SWG are wired to a common timer. Everything works but I'm loosing the benefits of the pump's features.

Is there a flow switch that will turn off the SWG when the pump shuts off?

I've noticed a Pentair flow switch, but think it is only a standard replacement switch for the Intellichlor.

I don't really want to drop another $500 for a master control panel. Will the pentair switch work or is there another brand that will work, and how do I wire it in to the SWG.

Thanks for your response and help?

Re: Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common ti

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Flow switch cut-offs are meant to be a safety back-up. The SWG should have the power turned off when the pump is not on. One option to accomplish this is to use a current sensing relay to sense when the pump draws power and connect the SWG to power. Search the forum for more info.

Re: Intelliflo pump and intellichlor SWG - How to turn SWG on & off without common ti

I'm in the same boat as you are. I keep 'automation' system in mind, however I'm trying to figure out what it takes to turn SWG on/off without pricey automation.
Here's couple links for you:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...rol-IntelliChlor-IC40-w-Current-Control-Relay
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/58610-Intelliflo-w-Intellichlor-w-o-Intellitouch

To answer some of your questions:
>Is there a flow switch that will turn off the SWG when the pump shuts off?
Yes, it's built in into intellichlor SWG as a safety feature. See "flow" LED on your SWG.
However, I'm not sure how safe it is to rely on flow control SWG feature.

>Both pump and SWG are wired to a common timer.
Why do you need extra timer? Your Intelliflo pump should have one.

I wish Intelliflo pumps have a load port to make everything simple.

The best answer is a current controlled relay that turns the SWG on only when the pump is drawing power. It is little work and a little money to find one and buy it, but it completely solves the safety issue.

Second choice is to use the timer in the pump, and use a second timer to control the SWG. That requires you to keep the pump timer and the external timer in sync, but otherwise works quite well.

By the by, if you have an automation system it normally takes care of turning off the SWG when the pump is not running.

My old Circupool Rj-45 SWG had internal timer with 2 settings, so it stays on but only generate chlorine with the schedules on its own internal timer. But my newer Circupool RJ-45 doesn't have an internal timer, wonder why they remove this feature. I now have to wire the SWG to the Intermatic timer which turns it on and off, to sync with my Intelliflo pump's running schedulre.

Is it OK to do this, cutting off power to the SWG with the Intermatic timer regularly daily, not messing up the SWG electronics?

Thanks

When I added a new VS pump I just wired it to the hot side of the timer so that it always has power. I left my SWG on the switched side. That means I can use the pump's onboard timer/controller and all its features and just set the timer to turn the SWG on during a time that I know the pump will be running. Just in case it gets out of sync or I screw up the timing, the flow switch is still there as a secondary safety. Simple and works quite well. No automation needed.

I get this complaint all the time. "Why did you wire my new VS pump with its own timer to my existing mechanical timer?"

This would pertain to you only IF you have a booster pump for your cleaner, and it too runs on it's own mechanical timer,

You would want to continue to use both mechanical timers, and set the VS to run manually. Here's why.

As you know, your cleaner booster pump cannot self prime. Therefore you would need the filter pump to run during the time that the cleaner pump is running, Yes? Ok, say your filter and cleaner are both running, and cleaner is set to go off in one hour, and the filter soon after.

You just lost power, nuts!

It will be off for two hours. When the power returns, your new VS pump with its on board timer recovered as expected, and since it is now about an hour past its turn off time, it will remain off, its work is done for the day. Now on the other hand, your booster pump time clock got it's power back, and (since it is mechanical),will turn back on, and remain on for another hour before it shuts off. Running for an hour, if it runs dry, will probably burn the seal enough to make it leak, and maybe even the impeller. Now some booster pumps may be able to function without the filter running as long as the plumbing is flooded. But the booster will probably draw water directly from the pool via the returns instead of from the filter, because there is less resistance to draw backwards from the pool. And since this water is unfiltered, it could potentially clog up either the impeller or the finger screen at the wall fitting. And if this scenario goes unchecked, will happen every day until the timers get synced back up.

Your only really loosing the timer feature on the pump using the mechanical timer, unless you have a variable FLOW pump where gpm/turnover is calculated for every 24 hour cycle, and iv'e only seen this really necessary in commercial applications where the system does not have a automatic cleaner.

If you have a VF (variable FLOW) pump and still wish to use the on-board timer and use the turnover function, give the pump 24 hours to accomplish its turnover, and it will run for 24 hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.