Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TFP Newb - First shopping trip.

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Newb - First shopping trip.

Question 1.

I am getting ready to open up and have decided to give this a go. Need to make a shopping list. How much of the supplies do you keep on hand. Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda etc.

FYI - I have had a history of "pink slime." Kept it in check last year, but it does show up.

Question 2

What to do if planning a vacation?
    16' x 32' Hopper IG Vinyl | 19,000 Gal | Pentair Tegalus 60 Sand Filter | Pentair Challenger 3/4 hp Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFP Newb - First shopping trip.

I usually have up to 7 gallons on hand at all times being stored in cold dark basement. Baking soda and borax are seldom used. It's all dependent upon your pool. If you provide test results we could possibly help you devise a plan to get things together but until then, I'll just say, some bleach.

Welcome to TFP
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

As Casey said, you need to have a good set to test results to know what your pool needs. Most pool owners never need baking soda or borax.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you or not some product just because it starts with the letter B.

So, step one is likely ordering one of the Recommended Test Kits.

- - - Updated - - -

Question 2: Depends on how long. Usually raise the FC level up to SLAM level and cover the pool. Maybe float some tablets if you have them and your CYA is not already too high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

+1 on bleach being the primary. All I have on my shelf is a couple of gallons of bleach (which likely won't be needed that SWG is operating with more normal water temps), and some muriatic acid...I had stabilizer till I got that right. It really is easy! Much easier than I thought.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys,

Ordered the tf-100 kit earlier today. Once that gets here and I get opened up. I will post some results.
    16' x 32' Hopper IG Vinyl | 19,000 Gal | Pentair Tegalus 60 Sand Filter | Pentair Challenger 3/4 hp Pump