Leak in return line for solar panels

Lummy

Dec 4, 2012
NorCal
Morning,
I'm hoping someone has a suggestion on how to fix a leak in my pac return line from the roof. IT looks like it's a bad PVC weld because it is leaking right at the 90 angle on the ground.

I don't think I have any room to cut in to replace the joint. Whomever put it in didn't leave much room between joints. They made a 90 to the ground, 2 45's right to give some separation from the solar panel feed line, about 4 inches of straight pipe , then a manual valve, another 4-5 inches of pipe and then a T for the bypass. I'll get photos tonite

I'm wondering if there's a PVC safe putty like JB Weld I could use to patch? Any suggestions?

Post a picture and somebody can tell you the best course. No good way but cutting it out. You may need to add a union to allow for the repair.

Self-fusing silcone repair tape works on water supply lines which are usually 60psi. You might give it a try. Just make sure the PVC is completely dry before you apply it. Also, it needs to be stretched while applying per the instructions to bond properly.

Photo attached. Leak is on the return pipe on the right hand side, on the side that faces the house. From what I can tell, it looks to be leaking from the joint.

IMG_0613.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0614.jpg
    IMG_0614.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 24
If it was mine, I'd probably cut the pipe between the valve and the 45 and put a union there glued only on the valve end. Then cut the upright and remove the ell and 45 and replumb as needed to connect to the union.

It's ok to connect without gluing? Now I'm wondering if the riser isn't glued into the 90.

I guess if I got rid of the 45, I would have more room to work with

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

It's ok to connect without gluing? Now I'm wondering if the riser isn't glued into the 90.

I guess if I got rid of the 45, I would have more room to work with

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

No, you need to glue eventually. Just that you need to start somewhere and the second half of the union is going to be connected to new plumbing. You won't know exactly where it goes until the union is installed on one side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.