Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: test kit question...

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation test kit question...

so i was going to go to walmart later and thought id buy a test kit...i think one of them there tests CYA.....good idea? keep in mine money is very tight this month due to a trip we are going on in a few days....needing to see the CYA to see how much bleach i need to buy and use per week...thanks guys

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: test kit question...

You will not find a kit at Walmart that we consider adequate. Your money would be better spent if you save it up until you can get one of the kits suggested in Pool School.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thought youd say that...i asked because we are going soon and im not wanting to come back to a green mess, though i was also going to cover it before going to stop anything from falling it too its only a 14x48....maybe ill put in 2 gallons of bleach then right before we go

4. Back To Top    #4

You shouldn't dump 2 gallons of bleach in your pool and call it a day queenie. We don't teach that here at TFP and you'll never hear someone advocate that here.

If you're so hard pressed to see what your CYA level is then go to the pool store and have them test it. For someone who doesn't have a test kit, that's about the best advice you're going to get until you decide you are ready for a reliable test kit.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

The HTH test kit is almost $25 I think. If you already have a pH test, you could get the TF-50 for not much more and have the correct chlorine test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

There is one drop based test kit that is so sold in some Wal-Marts, that has a CYA test included, the only problem is there is only enough reagents for 2 or 3 tests, the test strips that show CYA are useless even if they do read right, the ranges are too course, and most are higher than our suggest ranges (we generally suggest a CYA level of 40 for most pools, up to about 50 or 60 in prime sun belt locations, and advise partial draining to lower at over 100). Test strips (aqua chek brand anyway) show color match ranges for 0, 30-50, 100, 150 and 300 with the color for 30-50, being almost identical to 0. Meaning most ranges are useless

see this link

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks all for the advice...asap ill get the right kit but i used a kit with cya test and my cya messures under 30 ppm so what can i do before my week long trip or do nothing and add a gallon of bleach before i go?
    2 year old 14x48 intex ultra frame
    -----------------------------------------
    intex 633 pump

8. Back To Top    #8

If you trust the 30ppm CYA you can SLAM the pool to 12ppm and cover it with a solar cover. You can use Pool Math to see how much should be added.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

ok.....just sounds like more money lol so i should do this starting asap or a week before i go on my trip? right now the pool is nearly perfect looking

- - - Updated - - -

by the way will i always have to have it at shock level cause thats alot of bleach im sure
    intex 633 pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Bring the pool to slam level and cover it as close to the time you leave as possible for maximum benefit. How long do you plan to be gone?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

In my opinion ... even though getting the test kit seems like a lot of money up front ... it will potentially save you quite a bit over throwing bleach blindly in your pool ... For example ... if you just take a little time and put your numbers into pool math - assuming your water really does come up to 48 inches (which most likely you need to measure as it will be lower than this) then adding 69 oz of 8.25% bleach will raise you from 0 to 10 chlorine ... my jugs of 8.25% bleach are 121 oz ... so adding 1 will raise it to 17 (from 0) and adding 2 jugs would raise it to 35! This could be very damaging to your liner ... and without knowing your CYA level you don't even know what slam level is.

Raising the FC in your size pool may take much less bleach than you think.
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    Bring the pool to slam level and cover it as close to the time you leave as possible for maximum benefit. How long do you plan to be gone?
    im going for one week

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AprilNC View Post
    In my opinion ... even though getting the test kit seems like a lot of money up front ... it will potentially save you quite a bit over throwing bleach blindly in your pool ... For example ... if you just take a little time and put your numbers into pool math - assuming your water really does come up to 48 inches (which most likely you need to measure as it will be lower than this) then adding 69 oz of 8.25% bleach will raise you from 0 to 10 chlorine ... my jugs of 8.25% bleach are 121 oz ... so adding 1 will raise it to 17 (from 0) and adding 2 jugs would raise it to 35! This could be very damaging to your liner ... and without knowing your CYA level you don't even know what slam level is.

Raising the FC in your size pool may take much less bleach than you think.
    am using regular streanth bleach which is less then 8.25 i know that much, ill have to test the clhorine level tomorrow

btw this test kit i have has a total clhorine test in that....thats the only onr to test FC correct?

sorry for the mixed questions and such, im thinking about the pool and this trip which isnt a vacation to say the least so i really appreciate everyones help and all
    intex 633 pump

13. Back To Top    #13

testkit-colormetric-large.JPGheres a pic of a similar test to mine, i tested the clhorine today and you can see in the pic theres a 5 at the top left and a 5 at the bottom left, mine looked likt the bottom 5, ill assume thats not much clhorine but why are there 2 differant 5s im confused and if it only gets to 5 and according to this http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock i should get to around 10 i cant messure it huh? and again the two 5s confuse the heck out of me lol
    intex 633 pump

14. Back To Top    #14

The smaller number is for chlorine, the larger number is for bromine. There are instructions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm going to agree with our fellow Mods. I was in your same situation at one time. I had just joined this site and had no formal test kit except for test strips or getting it tested at the pool store. I was also in financial trouble at the time, but I dished out some dough and bought the TF100. Best possible decision any pool owner could make in maintaining their pool.
    30' by 54 Above Ground Pool 22000 Gallons
    1.5HP 2-Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    24' 300lb Hayward Sand Filter
    TF100 Test Kit
    Youngest Pool Enthusiast(Hopefully)

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The smaller number is for chlorine, the larger number is for bromine. There are instructions.
    lol i know that but if you look there at the bottom there is a 5 for chlorine and a 1 fore bromine and at the top theres a 5 for chlorine and a 10 for bromine....why are there two 5s and mine messures on the 5 at the bottom
    intex 633 pump

17. Back To Top    #17

The bottom one is a 0.5

You probably just can't see the .

I have no idea why they don't put "0.5" on there like a good science person would!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

18. Back To Top    #18

There is a decimal point on the bottom. It is 0.5 ppm ... ignore the Br column.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Is this a test you ran, Queeniepaula??? Because it doesn't appear that you've filled the test chambers up to the necessary level with pool water, which could skew your results. Just something to keep in mind!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Is this a test you ran, Queeniepaula??? Because it doesn't appear that you've filled the test chambers up to the necessary level with pool water, which could skew your results. Just something to keep in mind!
    no no thats not a picture of mine that a picture i found online thats just like mine and thanks for clearifing about the two 5s.....i need to raise the chlorine a good bit
    intex 633 pump

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast