Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA loss

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA loss

Hello. I have been using the BBB method for several years now. My question is regarding CYA levels. It seems that since I have been using the BBB method, every summer, I am having to add CYA. Curious why/how I would be losing CYA? It is a 16,000 gallon plaster pool in California. We've had below normal levels of rain this past year. The pool does have an auto fill on it, so I don't know how much is lost to evaporation. Last year when I added CYA, the level was about 20-30. My understanding is that once you have CYA, you shouldn't lose it, without draining water?? Is that right?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA loss

There's other ways to lose water besides draining: spash out from kids having fun, or maybe a cleaner spitting out water 50 or more times a day (like mine). Back washing is the same as draining. Evaporation doesn't count since it leaves the cya in the remaining water. There are other reasons too, but I'm not too familiar with them. I'm sure some expert will fill in my gaps for you.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your thoughts. I can rule out any water loss from anybody using the pool. Unfortunately it is just a pretty water hole that I dump money into, never gets used anymore. And I have put on the new Polaris tail sweep that prevents the water from spraying out. I don't have an issue with adding more CYA, just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing......

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmmmm gonna have to get one of them-- have a link by chance?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I was surprised that my cya dropped by 20 during March and part of April if this year. I was scared that I had a leak, but I think it was just the deluge of rain during those months. I'm just relieved that I didnt have to drain water because I was at 90 and now I'm down to 65-70.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA does also break down, just too slowly to be a practical way of lowering for people with sky high CYA. It seems that warmer water and higher than recommended pH may be factors in speeding this along. In 100+ degree hot tub conditions this can be at a rate around 5% per month.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Hmmmm gonna have to get one of them-- have a link by chance?
    Here you go: http://www.saveonpoolsupplies.com/sh...&keyword=E1538

This is just one site I pulled up by doing a google search. I actually bought mine off of ebay. Works great! Finally after 12 years I will have decent looking windows!

It's called Polaris Tailsweep Pro.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ordered mine from Amazon. The linked seller was was cheaper except for the $10 handling fee.