Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendation for heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendation for heater

My brother-in-law would like to add a heater to his in ground pool before the season starts this year. Without the heater he's not seeing temps much higher than 72*. He had talked to a neighbor who had claimed he had a unit that was a heater for the pool, and a heat pump for the house. After looking around and also posting on here, I see that there really isn't anything like that out right now.

So now he is asking me whether he should go with a gas furnace or a heat pump. He has gas already to the shed where the PO had removed the furnace. While I was doing some research, I basically came up with these things to consider. The furnace will be cheaper to purchase than the Heat Pump, but will cost more to operate. Also that the furnace will heat the water faster, while the heat pump takes longer.

We live in the Pacific Northwest (Tacoma, WA). Our pool season is about mid may to the end of September. Can anyone steer me in the right direction for my brother? I figure when we do decide what's best, the better way to go is to purchase it online and install either ourselves or hire somebody. Any and all help and recommendations is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    18,000 Gallon Plaster IG Kidney w/ 400 Gallon Spa.
    Tagelus Sand Filter w/ Jandy Series One Gas Furnace.
    Emerson 1081 Pump, 1.0 HP 1.65 SF @ 3450 RPM.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendation for heater

In that part of the world I would definitely go with gas versus heat pump. HPs are better for maintaining than carrying big loads in colder climates.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Heat pumps are not typically a diy venture. Gas heaters, with some good skills can be owner installed. Keep in mind, if you purchase online you may not find an installer willing to do the work as the warranty stuff gets real messy. If you do your own install at least you personally know the tech who will have to do the service work on the unit.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by odonekanobe View Post
    The furnace will be cheaper to purchase than the Heat Pump, but will cost more to operate. Also that the furnace will heat the water faster, while the heat pump takes longer.
    Do you/he know for sure that gas is going to be more expensive? Is this natural or propane gas? Usually for natural gas it's cheaper. Not so for propane.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Do you/he know for sure that gas is going to be more expensive? Is this natural or propane gas? Usually for natural gas it's cheaper. Not so for propane.
    I guess I don't know this for a fact, it's just what I had read while I was trying to research. We barely use our gas furnace in our own pool, just because we get so much natural light. But when we do use it the bill seems very reasonable.

Thanks for the input everybody. From what I have been reading on here it seems that the Raypak units are a good way to go?
    18,000 Gallon Plaster IG Kidney w/ 400 Gallon Spa.
    Tagelus Sand Filter w/ Jandy Series One Gas Furnace.
    Emerson 1081 Pump, 1.0 HP 1.65 SF @ 3450 RPM.