cloudy water after algae

jodyliebing

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2012
Auburn Indiana
Hi All. Well quick overview, opened with algae, cleared it up with SLAM> good levels on everything but water is still cloudy. It has been 7 days, I am seeing SLOW SLOW results in clearing the water, I have held shock level for a week, I know the algae is gone but didnt meet all 3 criteria for slam ( meaning clear water). I have had 0 CC fo a week. I also tried DE in my sand filter Didnt work.. All the equipment appears to be working good. My question is..... ( may be a stupid one, Im a newbee) can I turn my valve on the pump to the main drain to try and filter water thru the bottom of the pool instead of thru the skimmer?? Reason I ask is because the top is clear, its the bottom going into the deep end that seems to be stalled out.

Depends on what type of valves you have. Post a picture. If they are pool valves, it should say the word OFF opposite the handle ... that indicates what is closed/off. If all is from the skimmer now, then the OFF will be at the floor drain pipe, just open that up a bit.

yeah, it does say off opposite the handle.

- - - Updated - - -

The handle faces toward the pump, the off is opposite of that and the main drain is to the left the skimmer is to the right. So maybe it is pulling from both the skimmer and the floors??

it was replaced last year. The filter is only 3 years old, last year I seen sand in the pool and they said one of the fingers was cracked and thats when they replaced the sand. I was surprised the De didnt work either. Tried it twice.

I tried to add DE twice. ( backwashed it out just in case you wondered.) Really am considering flocking. Anyone care to talk me out of it because I REALLY would rather not. Just getting a bit impatient.
TC 11
FC0
PH7.4
TA 100
CH 200
CYA 30

Flocking is a waste of money, time and water which is all a waste of money! Did I say it's a waste of money? It's a waste of money!

You need POP. Pool Owner Patience. Your pool didn't turn green over night and it's not going to clear over night. Keep filtering and start brushing your pool! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think perhaps I just got too impatient. I just killed the algae 7 days ago. I am seeing about a 10% improvement a day so I am guessing another week and I should be ok without adding anything to my water!!!! Would about 2 weeks sound right for completely clearing a pool from green to sparkly??

Would about 2 weeks sound right for completely clearing a pool from green to sparkly??
Well, it takes what it takes....there is no alternative but to keep at it. We see people taking two weeks commonly, though.

What always puzzles me is my pool gets algae virtually every Spring and I can clear it to pass the OCLT within 3 days....sometimes four. I don't have any tricks....I just follow the SLAM precisely and it works quickly. Perhaps I get less algae than others but that doesn't seem to make sense year after year.

yeah that is something!! The first day, I tested and added chlorine every 1/2 hour all day 8 am to 8 pm,SLAM level NEVER once went below, or even overnight so I know I followed that right and it cleared up SOO fast (from green to blue) but the cloudiness is just hanging on. At least I can say that I do see a bit of improvement each day. Just seems in the past if I had a cloudy issue I could clear it up in a day or 2. ALGAE IS NOT MY FRIEND!!

Fantastic! Congratulations! Now just test daily and dose accordingly and you'll never have to deal with the green monster again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.