Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Pool and Scaling

1. Back To Top    #1

Fiberglass Pool and Scaling

Last year when I closed my pool I noticed a white film on the walls and floors of my pool below the water line which I have to assume is scaling (see images below).

My pool is going into it's 4th summer and I just started noticing this near the end of the season. It could have been there longer but I just never noticed it.

I have been doing my best to keep the water balanced with my test kit (I got the one recommended here) and don't recall any real problems when I tested. I would also take my water to the pool store to test and the numbers were relatively the same. Obviously I missed something or this wouldn't have happened, but not sure what. I am going to the pool store today to see if they have a history of my water numbers so I can see where I may have missed something.

At the end of each season my SWG had no scaling at all on the fins (or whatever they are called) if that makes a difference.

So, from the pictures am I correct that it is scaling?

My pool is closed for the winter (so no numbers on my water at the moment) but I am planning on opening it up in the next couple of weeks.

I figured this would be the best time to tackle this issue but I don't want to damage the gelcoat in the process.

What are my best options without causing damage to the fiberglass pool?

scale1.jpg

scale2.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fiberglass Pool and Scaling

Hey gcollins.... Curious to see what your test results were last year. Maybe you can tell us what chlorine you were using? Your CH and pH levels too? I know it may be hard to remember since it was last year but you could always get us a new sample when you open the pool in a couple weeks.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

There is also a few different kinds of gel coat fillers..so it would be helpful to understand the details from the mfg of your pool

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It certainly looks like calcium scale to me. Have you tried to remove it with a diluted solution of muriatic acid?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't tried the muriatic acid yet, little worried that it my damage the gelcoat. Plus I would have to drain the whole pool to do this, so if I took that course of action I think I would have to do it when I close the pool.

As for the gelcoat this is a fiberglass pool from Leisure Pools which I believe uses Aquaguard for there gelcoat. How would I find out what fillers it uses?

My Pool Specs:

Riviera 34' Leisure Pool
    Pentair IntelliChlor IC20 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250 Gas Heater
    Pentair SuperFlo Pump
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 320 Cartridge Filter

I got some water samples from last year below when I took it into the pool store, as you can see I had a problem with the chlorine.

FC: .15
    CC: .3
    PH: 7.5
    CH: 194
    TA: 100
    CYA: 21

FC: .07
    CC: .47
    PH: 7.7
    CH: 171
    TA: 88
    CYA: 44

FC: 4.64
    CC: .5
    PH: 7.8
    CH: 192
    TA: 78
    CYA: 65

FC: 1.03
    CC: 4.84
    PH: 8
    CH: 141
    TA: 121
    CYA: 4

FC: .17
    CC: .74
    PH: 7.3
    CH: 199
    TA: 89
    CYA: 80

FC: 17.59
    CC: .65
    PH: 8
    CH: 183
    TA: 70
    CYA: 78

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you would have to call the manufacture

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Any luck ?

8. Back To Top    #8

9. Back To Top    #9

Not yet.

I talked to Leisure Pools last year and they have a product that they think will help. I didn't have time to go full boar at it last year so this year I am going to buy enough product to last the whole summer and see what that does.

10. Back To Top    #10

Some of that can be helped, but above the waterline, not much you can do about it. The pH swings to 8.0 don't help, so try to eliminate those.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Ya those numbers were from 2 years ago. I got that undercontrol now.

Just trying to figure out away to get the scaling off without having to drain and give an acid wash. Hoping that using the scaling product from Leisure Pools for this whole season will clear it up pretty good.

12. Back To Top    #12

My pool guy gave me a product called conquest. I doubt it's going to touch this stuff as muriatic acid and a pressure washer haven't. I plan to put up a border tile if this doesn't work.

13. Back To Top    #13

Let me know how you make out.

I was going to do the border tile as well but I noticed that the scaling is on the whole surface of the pool and not just along the water line. If the product I am going to get from leisure pool which is called 'defender' is not going to work then I think I may need to do a full drain and acid wash/buff to remove.

14. Back To Top    #14

I've alteady tried defender. Didnt help.

15. Back To Top    #15

Was that Defender from Leisure pools? this is a product that comes from the manufacturer of my pool. That's not to say they just took another product and slapped their label on it though.

I know there is a product out there called 'Leisure Time Spa Defender' which is a different product.

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh, sorry. Don't think it was a leisure pool product. It was a sequester/chelating agent.

17. Back To Top    #17

I just watched a useless youtube video where she said she found a product that worked for her.

The product was EDFRED Shower Stall & Tile Cleaner. Not too expensive so might be worth to try a small bottle to see if it works.

18. Back To Top    #18

Saw that one too. I've ordered it, but it hasn't come in yet. I think it's just phisphoric acid. Only thing ive tried that has touched it above the warer line is goof off rust remover. It's a gel based phosphoric acid.

19. Back To Top    #19

Alright. Let me know how you make out.

I haven't ordered my product yet, still want to get some assurance from them that it will work before I spend money on it and find it doesn't do anything.

20. Back To Top    #20

EdFred didn't do anything to the scale. Sent an email to Barrier Reef Pools asking for help. Let you know how that goes. Think we're stuck with this mess though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast