Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Easy question - pvc fittings....

1. Back To Top    #1

Chicago, IL

Easy question - pvc fittings....

I switched to flex pvc pipe last year from that cheap pool hosing and it works so much better... this year though I need a few things and could use some help.

I use 1.5" flex pvc piping. Last year, on the suction side, I simply glued my flex pvc to the piece hanging down from the bottom of the skimmer, well when I winterized, I had to cut the flex pvc away from that piece (unscrewing with 20 feet of flex pipe attached was too difficult). After cutting, I unscrewed that piece and am left with a piece on the bottom of the skimmer that is threaded on both the inside and outside. Outside threads are about 2.5"

I assume what I want here is a 1.5" (slip is it called?) to 2.5" union so I can re-glue my flex pvc to that and then simply screw on and off using the outside threads. I could not find this piece in the pathetic selection at my hardware store, so will just order, but what is it called?

Additionally I need a few valves so I can shut things off without making a mess when it is time to clean the cartridge. There are many out there with a pretty wide range of price, any advice on that?

Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Easy question - pvc fittings....

It sounds like you need a 2.5" threaded female fitting? You should be able to get that at a plumbing supply store, but usually big box and ace won't have 2.5". You can get reducer fittings to go from 2.5 to 2 and then 2 to 1.5...not sure if a fitting is made to go directly from 2.5 to 1.5.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden