Please help with NE Ohio pool builder recommendations!

Jul 27, 2009
Canton, Ohio
Hi all,

Been lurking for a couple of years now, and have found this site to be a godsend with my old AG, and also a black swamp Cinderella story IG at a flip house I bought awhile back. Thank you to all who take the time to post and help the many people you may not even realize are reading!

We moved to our dream house in Canton Oh almost 2 years ago, and have finally decided to take the plunge for our own inground pool this year, but I'm not having an easy time coming up with a list contractors to interview.

So far I've got:

One vinyl pool quote... Owner was very odd, took no measurements, didn't step foot in my back yard, only glanced back there from inside my patio door, and was mostly dropping the names of Dr's. so-and-so that he built pools for. There was no way to connect with this guy and he really came off as disinterested.

One shotcrete guy...Also the owner, and we really have clicked personality-wise with him, but he is really disorganized and getting information back from him is always delayed and excruciatingly slow. We've been discussing various ideas, prices, etc for well over a month and feel like there's been no forward progress with him.

At least 4 other calls to area pool builders that have not been returned.

Can anybody here recommend a pool contractor in this area they had a great experience with?

I'd also be interested in hearing any negative experiences so I know who to stay away from?

Thank you in advance for anything you're willing to share!

Nancy

Welcome to TFP Nancy. I can't help you with pool builders in the area but I wanted to let you know that this time of year is an extremely busy time for them as everyone wants a pool right now! :lol: Maybe the second guy is just really busy, I don't know. Good luck in your search and let know how you do and post your build with pics when it happens! :goodjob:

Thanks to you both, and also the people who took the time to pm!

Leebo, I used to drive through Lisbon twice a day every day and had no idea whatsoever that enormous outdoor showroom ever existed, thanks for the info and may be checking that out this weekend.

We did get a couple more home appts scheduled, and also visited a smaller vinyl pb in Akron yesterday and they're not scheduling any more builds until next April! The owner, during the unbiased sales pitch about the virtues of vinyl, made some comments that I'd like to get some clarification on though...

*we were told explicitly about the costly, extensive need for underground relief valves and drainage systems for gunite pools in the event draining was required to prevent the pool from popping out of the ground. It's my understanding those things would be for higher water tables and that all types of pools have that risk if care isn't taken when draining?

*when asked about swg, she rolled her eyes and told us we'd be having ongoing problems with equipment corrosion and pointed to a printout on the counter about sacrificial nodes. I'm pretty sure this was a fairly big exaggeration tho I'll have to re-read the couple of posts I've seen here recently re the anodes.

*also mentioned quite emphatically were the high maintenance requirements of the gunite because of the extreme ph swings, high calcium headaches, etc etc because of the plaster, which btw we'll be having redone every 5 years! Sooooo.....my understanding is that gunite pools do have some higher needs in the first year bc of the plaster but that decreases a lot after that?

There were some more things but those were the biggest items i figured I'd double check on ...tho my gut was telling me there was a lot of misinfo there.

Thanks for any insight! I love this forum and look forward to posting pictures someday!

We are leaning toward gunite because we love the customization options, tile and colored plaster aesthetics, and the pricing so far has been surprisingly close between the two. Haven't ruled out vinyl yet, and trying to get more quotes in the next two weeks before deciding

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.