richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
Ok as you can see my pool is green.

My levels are 8.1 PH
Salt 1500 ppm
Everything else is 0.

I read the SLAM section and I am going to add PH down and stabilizer now. How quickly after doing that can I add shock?

I will keep adding shock until the pool clears up all while vacuuming the pool daily.

What test kit are you using? It is very unlikely that you TA is 0 ... in fact that is impossible with a high pH.

Please also confirm what form of chlorine do you intend to use? Your use of the term "adding shock" concerns me ;)

I went to the pool store to test the water.

I am going to add 6% liquid shock after I get the PH level down to about 7.2

Can I put stabilizer in at the same time as PH.

In a few hours I'm going back to the pool store after I add PH and some liquid shock

You won't be able to SLAM the pool to clear the algae if you don't do your own testing. To keep the level of chlorine correct you will need to test pretty often especially at first. You have to have a test kit that can test chlorine at levels above 5. Almost every store bought test kit won't come with that test. It's the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

A TF-100 has everything you need (from tftestkits.net) or a Taylor K-2006 available from amazon which is cheaper to buy BUT doesn't come with as much testing reagents as the TF-100 so you'd have to order refills very soon after you order the kit.

TF-100 is the best bang for the buck.

I see you said you have read the SLAM section but have you read up in the rest of pool school yet? :)

This is a 3500 gallon pool ... you may want to consider just draining it, cleaning it, and starting over following these instructions:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Or if you want to clear it up, then you will need to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits, which you should really do anyway.

I wanted to drain it but I didn't realize when I set up the pool the drain plug is inaccessible. Its like against the concrete buffer so that's not an option. For now, I'll lower the PH and add stabilizer. I'll buy one of those test kits. However for the first few days the pool store will test my water in their tester.

The problem is that pool store testing has repeatedly been shown to be inaccurate and inconsistent on the forum. You can try, but I would not believe very many of their results. The seem to be worst at CYA and I am not sure how you will properly SLAM is then can not test above 5ppm like most stores.

Test results with pictures

Merged by moderator. Please keep your threads together to maintain continuity. Thanks, jblizzle

Pool was disgusting green this morning. Followed instructions about getting the PH down to about 7.2 I added stabilizer and shocked the pool and here is where I am at. 2nd pic is 5pm, 1st pic is 10am. I'm confused about some numbers

FC - 18.8
TC - 21.6
CC - 2.8
PH 7.0
Alkalinity - 40
CYA -19
Borate - 3
Hardness - 15

What is borate and what is hardness? I never looked at those numbers before, but the new pool store that does my testing had it on their printout.

According to SLAM I should be shocking everyday? Do I want to go much higher than 20"? The combined chlorine number will go down as I vacuum and skim the pool? I guess I need more alkalinity and more stabilizer also

The water is really really cloudy. I vacuumed the bottom twice and there is barely anything in the vacuum. Though when I skim it lots of white dead algae are in there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have not added borates, the that should be effectively 0. Also for a vinyl pool, low hardness does not matter.

You FC is WAY too high already. You are not following the FC/CYA Chart. For a CYA of 20ppm, you should be maintaining your FC at 10ppm ... right now you could be damaging your pool (assuming the CYA is really 20ppm, which could be wildly off).

Get a test kit ;)

ok thanks for merging. I'm going to order a test kit in a few mins online that you recommended.

Will the chlorine come down on its own and the cloudiness go away?

I added a bit more stabilizer and alkalinity to get the levels up to the ideal levels.

On SLAM it says to shock daily but I'm nervous about doing it again tomorrow since its so high.

It does not say to "shock daily" ... it says to test and adjust the FC back to SLAM level at least twice a day.

Yes the FC will drop on its own. And the cloudiness removal is up to your filter (which if you have the little cartridges is likely going to take a LONG time).

Our hands are virtually tied because we can not advise you without the TF100 or K2006 test results. I would advise you to read Pool School until your test kit comes in.

*don't add any more stabilizer until you get the kit either. You just can't trust the pool store results. Not necessarily because they're dishonest, they just tend to be inaccurate and unreliable especially with cya. If you add too much you'll have to drain some water to get rid of it. Better too little right now than too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.