Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take???

1. Back To Top    #1

How long does it take???

Ok,

I know this is a beat to death subject but I can't really find anything on here that meets all of my criteria for this question. I just bought a house that has an inground pool, plaster, approx 30K gallons with an attached spa, solar heated. It hadn't been drained in over 5 years and the water (I was told by my pool guy...who I have since fired) was chemically saturated. We drained the pool, did an acid wash, repaired a broken light, and replaced a missing drain cover. I refilled the pool and started noticing algae after about a week....this is why I fired the pool guy....he said everything was "good to go". Anyways, here is my question:

How long does it take to get the FC levels to where they need to be?

FC - 0
    PH - 7.8
    CYA - 50-60
    TA - 130
    Water temp - 82-86 degrees.
    Tested with Taylor test kit.

I have been pouring liquid bleach in the skimmer, added one of those floats with chlorine tablets in it, and I have an inline chlorinator with tablets in it as well. Why is my FC still 0? Thanks.

p.s. The algae is gone now.
    IG Plaster with raised spill-over Spa, ~26,000 gallons, Built 2001
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long does it take???

There are various things that can be consuming chlorine. Algae is the most obvious possibility, but other things you can't see, like ammonia, can also consume chlorine. You need to keep adding chlorine until you can maintain an FC reading overnight. How long that takes is unpredictable, but once achieved, you should be good from then on.

By the by, I'm not sure if you realize or not that you need to be adding chlorine daily in normal operation.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I realize that I need to add chlorine daily (read that in Pool School )..... I just don't see any chlorine levels going up. It says on the test kit that I should be around 4-5 I think?? Since I have the attached spa.
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

4. Back To Top    #4

Your target FC level is 4 to 9, based on CYA being somewhere around 55.

Until you can maintain an FC level you should SLAM the pool. Your SLAM level is FC around 22. See the instructions on SLAMing the pool in the How To section of Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok..that makes sense. I have just not been adding enough. Thanks!!
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

6. Back To Top    #6

If your CYA is really in the 50-60 range then you need to avoid adding more stabilized chlorine (pucks, etc,) or else you will be facing another partial drain and replacement of water in the near future. In general we suggest a maximum CYA level of 50 ppm for most sunbelt conditions, 60 is pushing it for manually chlorinated pools.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Which Taylor test kit are you using?

I did not see anyone else say that we do not recommend pouring bleach into the skimmer. Just pour it slowly in front of a return jet. If there was nothing in the pool consuming the FC, then it would show up on the test within 30 minutes.

And get all those tablets out of the chlorinator before your CYA is even higher. Read this: How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

What would be the difference of pouring it into the skimmer vice in front of a jet? Isn't it all the same water? I'll take the pucks out when I get home. Didn't realize that would boost the CYA as well.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=jblizzle;633782]Which Taylor test kit are you using?

It's a Leslie Pool kit but all the bottles inside of it say Taylor so I'm guessing it's a K-2006? When I look that kit up online, it looks just like the one I have.
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

9. Back To Top    #9

By pouring bleach slowly in front of a return, the chlorine is diluted before it enters your pump. When you pour in the skimmer, highly concentrated chlorine water is going directly to your pump and can damage it. I'm not sure if it's the actual bleach, or the high ph of the bleach that is bad for the components of your pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you use a powder for the FAS-DPD chlorine test? Or is your test a pink or yellow color matching like the pH test?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

It's a pink color matching test. It says to add 5 drops of R-001 and 5 drops of R-002. Everytime I've tested it...it just reads zero. There isn't any algae in the pool since I started adding the bleach. I brush and vacuum it daily and check my levels every night.
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

12. Back To Top    #12

That is a DPD chlorine test. It will read zero when FC is around 12 or higher, as well as when it is actually zero.

13. Back To Top    #13

ok...so what test should I get then? and from where?
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

14. Back To Top    #14

http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlori...-test-p47.html

That' s a good FAS-DPD if you already have a good drop based kit for your other tests.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

If you already have a kit that does the pH, TA, CH and CYA, then just add the FAS-DPD chlorine test that Joel linked to above. That is the key to the recommended test kits.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks everyone. Just ordered my new test kit. I'll post the results once I get it. I also took out the chlorine pucks last night.
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok...got the new test kit today. Here are my results:

FC - 4
    CC - 0
    TC - 4
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 150
    CYA - 55
    CH - 270
    Water temp 79F

I added some muratic acid to bring the PH down to 7.5 and I'm gonna add some bleach to bring the FC up to around 6. I'll do the chlorine loss test tonight. Pool looks very clear and I don't see any signs of algae. I even opened up the filter canister and checked the cartridges and they were clean.
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

18. Back To Top    #18

Sounds good. Don't use any solid forms of chlorine as you CYA is right at the top of the recommended range.
    Remember a FC of 4ppm is your minimum so I might shoot for 7ppm each day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

Glad you got the test kit.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast