Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: in need of a new (to me) filter

1. Back To Top    #1

in need of a new (to me) filter

well to start off I really need a new liner to but don't have the $$$ at the moment. well opened the pool this weekend patched the tears and went to turn on the pump. water started spewing from the multiport valve. There is a big crack on the inlet on the multiport valve from the threads all the way up. Don't think it is mendable At this point I felt like putting the cover back on and calling it a summer Took a look on Craigslist to see what I could find and I found someone selling a 2hp 2sp pump w/27" 300lb sand filter they said it was sold to them with there above ground pool and was too big. Well I am thinking it would fit my 20,000 to 25,000 gal inground good, just want a second opinion.

I currently have:

1.5" pipes, 2 jets, 1 skimmer, 1 main drain

Tagelus Deluxe 225lb sand filter w/ 50 gpm design flow rate

w/.94 total hp 1 speed pump

should I replace w:

27" 300lb sand filter /sticker says: Millennium in ground series

2hp 2sp pump (the sticker says above ground Millennium and doesn't say the hp, the seller told me the hp, sound really large for an above ground)

the stickers on my says the flow rate but the stickers on the one I am looking at do not?

it seems like the pump filter combo may be a better size for my pool, but I am not sure. $250 seems like a good price as long as it actually works and is not broke, any advice on buying used pool equipment like this would be great as well.
    25,000 capacity, IG vinyl, .94 HP pump, sand filter (Tagelus Deluxe TA-50D), 50GPM Design Flow Rate filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: in need of a new (to me) filter

If it is a 2HP, that is certainly bigger than you would need, but since you will run on low speed mostly, that would be fine. There is nothing wrong with going to a larger filter either. Do no try to move it with sand in it and inspect all the laterals for damage.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't think I would get an above ground pump for an in ground pool. Filter would be fine.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    I don't think I would get an above ground pump for an in ground pool. Filter would be fine.
    Oh Snap ... I over looked that. You are right most likely the AG pump is not self priming and would not work for an IG pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

ok thanks for the advice!
    25,000 capacity, IG vinyl, .94 HP pump, sand filter (Tagelus Deluxe TA-50D), 50GPM Design Flow Rate filter