Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Just Cut My Intex Pool For My Upgrade :-)

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

I Just Cut My Intex Pool For My Upgrade :-)

I just finished cutting those stupid plastic things that serve as suction/returns, off my Intex Pool and it wasn't as stressful as I anticipated! I had two of these things to remove and it was a piece of cake!

I chose to do it before I set my pool up, but I will put the thru-the-wall skimmer in when the pool is set up in September!

Here you go!

Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: I Just Cut My Intex Pool For My Upgrade :-)

Has anyone ever installed their through the wall skimmer WITHOUT the pool being set up???? There's no real point is there? The pool liner will stay in the box until I need it, so I can't see the benefit in it.... Thoughts?????
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know of anyone who has?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I don't know of anyone who has?
    Yeah, I haven't seen one, I will leave it till September, when I've set the pool up.... Thanks Casey...

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I don't think this is a good idea, actually. If you install it without any water in the pool, when you do fill it, if the liner stretches any it might rip out the holes where the screws go through.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    I don't think this is a good idea, actually. If you install it without any water in the pool, when you do fill it, if the liner stretches any it might rip out the holes where the screws go through.
    Yeah, I think you're right, it will be best to do it when the pool is about 3/4 full.... And the pool has taken shape...

7. Back To Top    #7

Has anyone ever attempted changing any of these inlets or returns while the water was full.. ie: maybe using a bowl on the inside of the pool and then cutting on the outside using the gasket as a guide?

I want to change my one return to the full size 11236 part from intex and also add the second return about 12" below my primary return + pvc..
    My Intex Ultra 18'52 build
    My SmartPool Solar Panel Build
    6981 Gallon + Hayward 1.5HP Matrix + 21"
    Solar S601P SmartPool 160sq feet solar panels
    Intex 7K Gallon SWG, Hayward WideMouth

8. Back To Top    #8

would love to see an answer to that
    Many Thanks & Great Days to All

Miniman

5061 Gallon 16 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame AG, Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 3000 GPH, INTEX 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System, TF-100 Test Kit, Intex Auto Pool Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Sure you can. I replaced both of the black rubber sleeved inlets ( to the pump) with 1 1/2 inch Hayward fittings, while my pool was full.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

10. Back To Top    #10

pool1.jpg here it is after replacing the dinky intex inlets with Hayward 1 1/2 inlets.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by philc View Post
    Sure you can. I replaced both of the black rubber sleeved inlets ( to the pump) with 1 1/2 inch Hayward fittings, while my pool was full.
    You mention using hayward fittings, is that something different than this 11236 intex below?:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010EHVS9A..._w7K7ybM9MRBMK

It seemed most were replacing their outlet(s) with these.. cutting the hole bigger..

On the idea of cutting while full.. how do you fit something like the 11236 strainer through the hole from the outside and get the gasket in place on the pool side inside the bowl without much hassle? I dont think it would fit through the hole, as the hole just needs to be so big.. or maybe it does (from the outside to inside the bowl?).

12. Back To Top    #12

I did cut-while-full on my previous pool. Sure, there will be some spillage, but not much if you're quick. Keep a bucket on the ground below the cut if you need to. You need to remove the bowl after the cut and fit the gasket and strainer from the inside. Have an assistant standing by with a bowl or similar if you drop something or if you panic when the water starts gushing out. Stay cool and there is nothing to it.
    Intex Ultra Frame 24'x12'x52" (732cm x 366cm) rectangular pool
    Intex SF80220RC (1600 GPH) pump/sandfilter
    Intex SF10220 (1050 GPH) pump/sandfilter driving the
    Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner
    Intex 8220 ECO SWG, Brilix XHP100 9kW heatpump

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey Phil, could you post a link to the Hayward inlets. I've searched and all I come up with is for concrete walls.
    Thanks in advance.

14. Back To Top    #14

You bet. Here's what I installed: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP102...QFBZTWVM7PM00B They are just a hair smaller than the Intex fittings, but they accept off the shelf 1.5 inch plumbing fittings.

15. Back To Top    #15

You bet. Here's what I installed: https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP102...QFBZTWVM7PM00B They are just a hair smaller than the Intex fittings, but they accept off the shelf 1.5 inch plumbing fittings.
    are the threads on this 11236 the same at 1.5 or are they 40mm (asking here as well case anyone here wonders). Thnking i ordered the wrong strainers for straight to pvc edit: i think they are in fact 1.5" here at least

16. Back To Top    #16

The threads on the Intex strainers are 40mm for the hose connection. They are designed to accept the Intex hoses.

17. Back To Top    #17

The threads on the Intex strainers are 40mm for the hose connection. They are designed to accept the Intex hoses.
    according to the amazon description they take 1.5" hoses, at least thats what it says in the link

18. Back To Top    #18

Yeah the hose may technically 1.5 inches, but the threads on the nut on the hoses is a metric 40mm nut.

- - - Updated - - -

In my photo above, the middle hose is an Intex hose. The grey part is the nut that is on the hose. That is the 40mm part.

19. Back To Top    #19

Yeah the hose may technically 1.5 inches, but the threads on the nut on the hoses is a metric 40mm nut.

- - - Updated - - -

In my photo above, the middle hose is an Intex hose. The grey part is the nut that is on the hose. That is the 40mm part.
    So with the Hayward connector how do you put a strainer on the other side how does that work with replacing the outlets with Hayward instead of the 40 millimeter since they have no strainer

20. Back To Top    #20

I use these instead. https://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP102...6RBZ7T5ZWY4KZX
    It is not much of a strainer but it does help with the entrapment issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast