Need some encouragement........scared to try again.

QuiltinMom

Platinum Supporter
Mar 24, 2013
Central Iowa

First of all, here is my info from last spring/summer. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/60776-What-happened-to-my-pool-can-it-be-saved

It was not a fun experience and I think I am still quite nervous about trying it again. After the above storm happened we took the wall down and packed it all away. The liner was severely damaged over the winter months and so we are starting from absolute scratch.

The pavers are still in place, but a lot of the sand and some dirt has covered them up. We are going to dig down enough to expose them and inspect them. I know we have one paver that is broken and it will be replaced. We have several bottom rail pieces that are damaged and those will need to be replaced. The cheapest I have found them so far is $29.99 each. I think we have 9 that need to be replaced. Some of them may be able to be salvaged. Looking for advice as to what can and can't be saved. Does this price per piece seem correct?

I have ordered another liner (ouch $$), but it had to be done. It will possibly arrive this week, but I need to get the bottom rails ordered and on the way.

Weather is looking pretty good for this week so we are hoping to start cleaning up our pool site.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Hi, that was a rough break last year. Please know that there are hundreds of members here ready to give you advice and encouragement as needed during your up coming pool installation. We all hope it goes well for you this time.

Could you post a picture of the bottom rails? Someone here should be able to tell you if they are salvageable.

Hi QuiltinMom! :wave: Make sure this time that there is absolutely perfect weather morning, noon and night. Maybe even truck some water in to set the deepened and get a ft of water in the shallow end to help support the walls. I can't help on track pricing. Just make sure it's the pieces you need. Good luck this time around!!!

THANKS!!!! I just took a couple of photos of the bottom rails that we think need to be replaced. If any of them can be salvaged that would be great news!!!
I can't get the photos to attach. I have sized them down as required, but I am getting an error message.... "Exceeds your quota by 603.6 kb. Click here to view your attachments". When I click on it it takes me to a page of smilies. I tried looking under my profile and it doesn't show any photos in there.

OK, I have tried to go the photo bucket route and just set up an account.

Let's number them from #1 - #9.

#1 in the first photo is the closest one to us.

#1 in the second photo is on the left side of the photo.

#1 in the third photo is on the bottom of the photo

Hope this makes sense. Let me know if you think some of these can be salvaged.

I would try and bend and straighten some of those back into shape with a pair of needle nose plyers and replace the ones that can't be salvaged.

I agree with Casey

If it makes you feel any better ... the walls caved in on us a couple times setting up our AGP ... I eventually put 2x4's inside until I got the liner in all the way ... I was working by myself on ours about the same size ... which I really don't recommend!! Get some friends to come over just to stand and help hold the walls up and also help move the liner around if it is cockeyed ... maybe have a cooler full of beer that you can enjoy while it is filling up ... and the faster you can get that pool filled the better off you will be!

WooHoo!!!! DH just used some pliers and a vice and whatever else tools and was able to straighten all of these up. THANKS so much for the encouragement to DIY!!!! You helped save us a LOT of money (well maybe not saved, just redirected to fun pool stuff). We were concerned that the ones with the hard kinks wouldn't straighten out and would have to be replaced. Also, so of them don't have quite the same arch that they should have. It might be a bit of a fight to get the wall to sit in it, but we will give it a try.

We are planning on having a lot more people here to help this time. I don't think any of them, or us really drink alcohol. We must be a boring bunch!!:) We will have plenty of pop and other goodies on hand for the day of the build.

I was also trying to come up with a way to get a lot of water in it as soon as we are ready for it and I think we still have a little 12'x30" Intex pool that we used for our daughter. I was thinking that we could pre-fill that in close proximity to the big pool and then be able to syphon the water to the big pool when we are ready for it. We will probably also look in to borrowing a couple of large water tanks to haul water in. We are on a well and it has barely been able to keep up with our household needs. The last month or so we have had a bit of rain and I think that is helping it recover, but we don't want to drain it!!! We also may know a dirt contractor that may have a bigger tank that we can possibly hire to bring in a load of water.

Have some work to do before we are ready for water, but trying to get everything organized and ready.

As far as weather, there was nothing in the forecast last year when that storm came through. Have no idea where it came from. Just part of the fun of living in Iowa.

Glad to help save you money for pool toys! Keep us updated on your build and definitely see if you can bring water in to get it set. Once you get a ft of water in the shallow end, you can breath. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
THANKS for the encouragement. We made numerous phone calls last year trying to find someone to haul water. The local F.D. will not do it, not even for a donation. However, we have a friend that is on the volunteer F.D. and maybe he can help us out. :) We are out in the country, so no fire hydrants close. We do still have the Intex pool pump from the little pool so we could possibly use it. We will also haul water in to our well ahead of time so we can use water from there also.

We do still have the option of using pond water from down the hill. Maybe 1/4 mile away, but quite a bit of elevation change. We wouldn't be able to pump it directly (I don't think), but we could haul it up the hill using water tanks. Is there a way to pre-test the water accurately to see how much work it would be to clean up the pond water if we do have to go that route? We went fishing earlier today and I thought about bringing up a water sample to play around with but I didn't know if it would be accurate since it wouldn't have a filter and/or pump to circulate it. What do you think?

You can always test it! It's good practice. Post the results if you do so we can see them too. :goodjob: Heck... take it to the pool store just for funnies and see what they say about it too! :mrgreen: :lol:

Hey QuiltinMom! Good luck on your second time around! It sounds like you are on the right track and ready for a good set up! It will be beautiful when it's all finished.
Saying' hi from another Iowan!

Hello to you too. I was looking at your signature line and it looks like we are going to have almost the same pool set up. Ours will be 33', but in doing my research I believe it is also a Morada RTR. I have been closely studying the components and that seems to be the one that matches best. We don't have the same pump or filter though.

Did you do your build yourself or higher it done? You are welcome to come over on the day of our build and give us any direction or input if you did it yourself!!!! :p

Good luck! We put up ours last Sept. We hired someone that did not know what they were doing. When we started filling up the pool it was off level by like 4 inches! It broke my heart to stop right there and drain the pool...but we knew it was a catastrophe waiting to happen. We took it down...stored it in the garage and decided not to even try and reuse the liner. I was livid...but these things need to be done right...otherwise there wont ever be enjoyment.. looking back now...I am kind of glad it happened for many reasons! I am about 10 days away from trying again! I'm not giving up...it's not how I roll! I'm sure your experience this time around will be 100 times better!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.