Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I am about to install a new above ground pool but it will be semi inground. The pool is a Radiant Metric 27' round. These are built from aluminum with a foam insulation in between the walls. What kind of magnesium anode and where can i purchase to add to the install? Also when i bond pool does it have to be 18" away from pool and only 4 to 6" deep or can it be lower in ground and closer since i dug an extra foot around it and pool will be roughly 26" down in ground.

Was checking on an anode from a company and here is response.
Anodes may help reduce the corrosion rate but there are other concerns for an aluminum frame in soil.

Aluminum is an amphoteric metal meaning that it corrodes in soils with a low PH and at a high PH but has a low corrosion rate in neutral soils. I recommend that you have some soil testing completed to evaluate the PH of your soils as well as the resistivity of the soils. NCL does this soil testing for a cost of $69/per test/ per sample. If we have to collect the sample there is an additional charge.

Also when you are saying bonding, are you planning on bonding the aluminum frame together or are you going to bond your grounding system to the aluminum frame? By bonding the copper grounding grid to an aluminum frame you are creating a mixed metal couple. This means that one of the metals will become the anode (aluminum frame) and the other will become the cathode( copper grounding) and will increase the corrosion rate of the anodic metal (aluminum).

Is the aluminum frame coated? Coating reduces the amount of current necessary for adequate cathodic protection (CP). Coating is considered the first line of defense for corrosion with CP being supplemental corrosion protection. Without a coating the current required from the anodes will be greatly increased.

If you would like to proceed with a soil testing and a design, NCL can provide you with a quote for soil testing, engineering, materials and installation if desired. Feel free to give me a call I am more than willing to discuss this further with you.

Would you bond an aluminum pool?

Not to highjack but . . .

Split from your old hijacking location and merged into your existing topic. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. And never ask the same question in more than one place. JasonLion

Would you bond an aluminum pool? Radiant Metric and was kinda told this. By bonding the copper grounding grid to an aluminum frame you are creating a mixed metal couple. This means that one of the metals will become the anode (aluminum frame) and the other will become the cathode( copper grounding) and will increase the corrosion rate of the anodic metal (aluminum).

Re: another bonding question

Aimee did you ever get your issue solved?

Kpromero I am getting ready to bond an aluminum fence to the copper bond wire. I didn't have any concerns about dissimilar metals. Sounds like you're talking about something like galvanic corrosion. Hmmm

I had emailed a company about a magnesium prepackaged with soil anode and that was some of his response to me. Maybe i am taking it wrong but it looked like he was telling me that bonding aluminum and copper together will result in the aluminum being the anode and will increase the aluminum to corrode.

Re: Would you bond an aluminum pool?

If the pool is permanently installed you don't have any choice, you must bond the pool, and you must connect copper to aluminum. If it is a temporary pool you don't have to bond, and shouldn't. The rules about exactly where the dividing line is vary somewhat from place to place.

I understand how that works from having owned boats, but usually you need high levels of salt to promote that effect. And the joint/area needs to be wet. Great, one more thing to consider. Now you're taking about your pool wall and the copper wire right? I'm talking about an aluminum fence, to copper wire. It will hardly be wet, vs your pall wall, which will likely be always/frequently wet.

Thanks JasonLion and all. Just concerns me that he would say by connecting copper for bonding and attaching to aluminum that the pool would corrode more since it will act as an anode if i am understanding right and would like some of your inputs to see what i should do. Do any of you have this kind of pool and still bonded and no worries after years of doing? i want to make everything right on this one since it will be my second pool in 8 years and this one was not too cheap. Radiant Metric. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.