Trouble with pool light

May 4, 2014
Houston, TX
The pool light is not working but the spa light is working. Switches for both lights are right next to a GFCI. I am assuming that there is nothing wrong with the GFCI since the spa light is working.

There is 120V at the pool light switch. I removed the switched and shorted the two leads to eliminate the switch factor (it looked corroded). I was expecting to get 120V between the center contact of the light socket and the threads of the socket. I got readings from 13V to 120V depending on where on the threads I touched with the meter probe. I left the light fixture under the sun to let potential moisture evaporate (even though everything seems completely dry). After a few hours the readings still vary between 12V and 120V.

When I screw on a light bulb I see no action at all.

Any clues on what's going on here? A loose contact between wires and light socket? Is it possible to dissasemble the light housing without compromising the water seal?

Thanks for your help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry you have not gotten a helpful response yet. I am not sure what is wrong, but does sound like a bad connection somewhere.

I am pretty sure you can not disassemble the housing though.

Welcome to TFP!

Did you check the connections at the junction box? there should be a junction box near the pool, one for each light. Is the light socket corroded?

How good are you with a multimeter and around electricity? Please be careful testing and taking voltage measurements around water. I would strongly suggest turning off the power before disassembling anything or removing covers from electrical boxes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.