Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble with pool light

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

Trouble with pool light

The pool light is not working but the spa light is working. Switches for both lights are right next to a GFCI. I am assuming that there is nothing wrong with the GFCI since the spa light is working.

There is 120V at the pool light switch. I removed the switched and shorted the two leads to eliminate the switch factor (it looked corroded). I was expecting to get 120V between the center contact of the light socket and the threads of the socket. I got readings from 13V to 120V depending on where on the threads I touched with the meter probe. I left the light fixture under the sun to let potential moisture evaporate (even though everything seems completely dry). After a few hours the readings still vary between 12V and 120V.

When I screw on a light bulb I see no action at all.

Any clues on what's going on here? A loose contact between wires and light socket? Is it possible to dissasemble the light housing without compromising the water seal?

Thanks for your help.
    13K Gal, underground, pebble, cartridge, spa, 2000 built

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Trouble with pool light

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry you have not gotten a helpful response yet. I am not sure what is wrong, but does sound like a bad connection somewhere.

I am pretty sure you can not disassemble the housing though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Los Angeles, CA

Re: Trouble with pool light

Welcome to TFP!

Did you check the connections at the junction box? there should be a junction box near the pool, one for each light. Is the light socket corroded?

How good are you with a multimeter and around electricity? Please be careful testing and taking voltage measurements around water. I would strongly suggest turning off the power before disassembling anything or removing covers from electrical boxes.
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.