Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor hums / buzzes, trips breaker

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor hums / buzzes, trips breaker

Hi everyone.

I had a problem with the (now old) replacement motor of a Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II or Max E Glas II (What's the difference?).

It happened only once so far.

When the motor was powered, it hummed / buzzed for a couple seconds then tripped the breaker.

I tested the start capacitor and run capacitor (microfarads). The start capacitor is in its operating range. The run capacitor is only 2% lower than its operating range.

The shaft spins freely.

What could it have been?

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor hums / buzzes, trips breaker

Welcome to the forum!

Exactly how did you test the capacitors? Capacitor tester or ohm meter. And what was off by 2%?

I believe those two motors use centrifugal switches which can get corroded over time. Try cleaning the contacts.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    Capacitor tester or ohm meter.
    Capacitance test.

And what was off by 2%?
    The meter showed the run capacitor supplying 19.80 microfarads. It's rated for 20 microfarads.

Thanks for the reply.

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe those two motors use centrifugal switches which can get corroded over time. Try cleaning the contacts.
    If it's not the contacts, what else should I look for?

5. Back To Top    #5

Did you check the switch springs and make sure the switch is moving properly when the motor spins up?

The symptoms point to the switch. Nothing else is intermittent like that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I'll check it out. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

The symptoms point to the switch. Nothing else is intermittent like that.
    If in time this happens consistently, is the motor fried?

8. Back To Top    #8

Hard to say. Normally something like that can be fixed if you know what is causing the problem.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

If in the future this problem does happen consistently, is rebuilding this kind of motor worth it, or should it simply be replaced?

Part of the reason I ask is because of the inconvenience of taking everything apart and/or taking it to a motor shop.

10. Back To Top    #10

Again, it depends on what's wrong with it but also how much you are willing to do yourself. Even bearings can be replaced. About the only thing that is not worth repairing are the winding's. However, if you are going to take it to a motor shop, then you are probably better off buying a new motor. The pump wet end can usually last through several motor changes.
    Mark