Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool opening Pump not priming..

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool opening Pump not priming..

I do fill the basket with water, but after it starts to prime, not a lot of water goes into the basket, and the filter doesn't prime. The weird thing is even if I put it to backwash no water comes out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a Pentair SM 20-2 DE filter. Inground pool.
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool opening Pump not priming..

also I notice water starts flowing in for like 20 - 30 seconds slowly to the pump basket, but then it seems to stop and stops going in. Just adding this to see if this helps anyone let me know what could be wrong.
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

3. Back To Top    #3

Good news I got it to Prime, but I have a huge leak from the backwash port even though my filter is running in the regular position, NOT BACKWASH

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the image..

http://imgur.com/wUnR4aM
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

4. Back To Top    #4

There are a couple of possibilities. The most common issue is some kind of suction side air leak. That could be a bad seal on the pump strainer basket lid o-ring, or low water level letting air into the skimmer. Or it could be something more serious, like a leak in the plumbing.

Another possibility is that it is trying to draw water from too many sources. If you have more than one source of water that you can control with valves, try closing all of the input valves but one and see if it will prime from there. If that doesn't work, try isolating each water source in turn to see if any of them work.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

2014-05-04 19.04.37222.jpgOk I solved the backwash problem, now the only thing left is I get a leak of about a drop of water every 2 seconds underneath this black thing in the image.. Any advise?
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015