Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no real test kit what can i do

1. Back To Top    #1

no real test kit what can i do

I will start with the conditions from last year. Water stayed milky white settling on the bottom. This year started out with bleach to reopen pool. pool turned clear yet still had the residue. I made a gravity vacuum to get it out, water was clear enough to see the bottom . I then filled up the pool with another foot of water. Added stabilizer Water turned green I added a half gal of bleach. I can test the PH it is now 7.2and now chorine if off the scale but dropping. I vacuum residue daily till it gets to cloudy to see what I am doing. Our water is from a well if that helps at all. I know a better test kit is needed and when I can get to town I will but that could be a while

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: no real test kit what can i do

Welcome to TFP!

There is no way to offer suggestions without test results. Why add stabilizer when you do not know your previous level? Might be too high now and if you do not have adequate FC, that could result in algae clouding the water. Sounds like you are trying to drive a car blindfolded ... You might get where you need to go, but highly unlikely.

You should order one of the recommended test kits as they are not usually available locally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What we teach to maintain crystal clear water begins with precise testing. Making suggestions as to what might help without good test results is just simply guessing and it almost never works.

You will probably not be able to get the test kit you need locally. You need the TF-100 or the K-2006
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

true all I can test is ph and cholrine will see about a new test kit all part of living rural

5. Back To Top    #5

Rural has nothing to do with anything. We keep trying to point out that you have to order the good kits online because stores to not carry them. Clearly you have internet, so you should be able to order one online
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Seems to me that being some distance from a pool store would make a test kit desirable and necessary. You don't even have the easy (but expensive) option of getting pool-stored!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I live in Australia and still managed to get a recomended test kit, bloody cost a lot though with $85 shipping
    without knowing what your water test results are you may as well flip a coin
    should i add bleach? heads = yes, tails = no
    should i add acid? heads = yes, tails = no
    is my CYA ok? heads = yes, tails = no
    well you get the idea
    SWG inground peanut shaped eco-bright concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter with glass media
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test, Dolphin M500 pool cleaner
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

8. Back To Top    #8

my water levels

Test results
    FAC 5
    TAC 5
    CH 380
    CYA 30
    TA 120
    pH 7.2
    base 2
    copper 0
    Iron 0
    TDS 500 ( is this my real problem)
    Phosphates 0

with cloudy water still what do you all recomend

9. Back To Top    #9

my water levels

Welcome to TFP !
    My question to you, how did you obtain these test results ? They look like pool store results. The TDS is meaningless. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: my water levels

Step 1: Order one of the Recommended Test Kits
    Step 2: Read Pool School while waiting
    Step 3: Test and post your test results
    Step 4: Follow the SLAM Process
    Step 5: Swim

Also please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Phosphates are meaningless too. Just a ruse by leslies to sell some very expensive phosfree! You're lucky yours was 0 if higher they'd have sold you some. This sucker bought some before I learned about bleach and cya.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

It will be 4 to 6 weeks before I would be able to order your approved test kit. Neighbor told me today give me a sample they would get it tested so I did it. they went to town and yea they went to a pool store. If no help in here without that kit then so be it But if anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them .My biggest prob is poor filtration not chemistry I think I will get the stuff in the bottom sig

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    My biggest prob is poor filtration not chemistry...
    Based on numerous posts from people in similar situations as yours, I can tell you that this is usually not the case. A majority of the time, the pump, filter, and plumbing is working properly and doing what it's supposed to. It's the chemistry problems that allow more debris in the pool than should be, which clogs the filters quickly and reduces water flow. Once the chemistry is fixed, the filter "problems" take care of themselves.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

14. Back To Top    #14

this pool is the 15 x 48 pool with what I believe is a 1000gph pool pump/filter so in theory takes 4 hours to filter all the water. My knowledge of pumps and filtration is enough to know it isn't really good enough, especially when you have the pump sitting on the ground. pumps lose some the farther they pump. Our pump sits off the ground about 2 feet. Not to mention I have the skimmer on it but instead of it hanging on the side I sunk it to the bottom of the pool. My problem is the water isn't clear. never has been clear in this pool.
    but as I said will be a long while before I get the approved test kit and by then our swim season is half over with

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by timerguy View Post
    Phosphates are meaningless too. Just a ruse by leslies to sell some very expensive phosfree! You're lucky yours was 0 if higher they'd have sold you some. This sucker bought some before I learned about bleach and cya.
    Bleach is what I am using

15. Back To Top    #15

The test kit is needed to confirm there is nothing living in the water. Then it is up to the filter and your is lacking if you have the little Intex cartridges. Getting some Unicel carts should help, upgrading to the sand filter and pump would be better although sounds like that is not in the cards.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

well filtration is a dif post but that is easier to come by

17. Back To Top    #17

How is that a different post? You asked about cloudy water. That is either chemistry (which you can not check) or the filter or both.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, lets try taking this from a different point, although without good testing there is only so much we can do, and a lot is blind guessing. What does the water look like, better yet can you post a photo. Also tell us a bit about the history of this pool, you say the water has never been clear, going back how long....
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

19. Back To Top    #19

pool was put up last summer water was hauled in for it from a well. once I got the chorine and PH right it turned white then the white settled on the bottom as a fine powder that I could not get rid of. Closed pool for winter.
    This spring I started to work on it as it was green and black. Pool has been given 1 and a half gallons of bleach to get it where it is I added water once it was almost clear and it tuned green again. Now it is yellowish color with a brown sediment on the bottom witch I am vacuuming out with a homemade siphon vacuum the one with the hose and a bag will not catch the particles I didn't know if it was chemistry or filtration I have a post in filtration as well that is why I said that is a different post
    I believe a pic has top go through outside server? that will take me a bit
    Last edited by goats; 05-06-2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: oops

20. Back To Top    #20

I went ahead and merged these 2 related threads.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast