Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to add salt to the pool - "Bucket" method.

1. Back To Top    #1

How to add salt to the pool - "Bucket" method.

Here's my "bucket" method:
    Attachment 28887
    At the end: no salt going to the floor, everything gets mixed with pool water, no salt on pool deck, no sharp objects cutting salt bags close to the pool (liner).
    Just light pool sweep to make sure no salt sits on the liner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to add salt to the pool - "Bucket" method.

Way too much work! Pour the bag in, either aim a jet towards the pile or brush down the sides. There's no issues with the salt hitting the floor. They kinda look like diamonds...
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

That is great.

Of course just dumping an entire bag of salt in at one time is also fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

If I had a salt pool, I'd hold Diamond Day, where the bags of salt get poured in and the kids swim through it and scoop it up and throw it around and swim through the shower of crystals.

A side conversation on adding salt through the skimmer has been moved here. JasonLion
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just pour a whole 40 lb bag in a 5 gallon bucket, put it on a step that allows the top of the bucket to be lower than the water level, stick in
    a garden hose and turn it on. Takes about 5 mins to dissolve it all. Except for rain, the only time I need to add salt, I also need to add water,
    so it works for me. Even if you don't "need" to add water, 5 mins of a garden hose doesn't hurt anything.
    21,000 gallon SWG free form pool, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 400K btu heater, 400 gallon spa, Circupool si45+, Dolphin Oasis Z5 cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

I am failing to see why a bucket is needed at all

Why don't you just dump it in the pool? Is there some misconception that the salt will damage something?

I walk around my pool dumping 100s of pounds of salt in and it is mostly dissolved by the time I make a lap. A couple minutes with a brush and it is gone ... and that is not even required if I wanted to be lazier.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I am failing to see why a bucket is needed at all
    No misconception at all. Just alternative method how to mix solids with water.
    Lagoon shape, 23,600 Gal, steel walls by International Swimming Pools, "ultra-seam" liner by Latham, Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo 3HP Variable Speed Pump, PentAir CCP420 filter, Heat Siphon Z575HP, PentAir IC40 SWG, 2 LED Lights (Pentair Intellibrite 5G, 110V). 4 x 1.5’’return lines, 2 x 2’’skimmer lines, 1.5’’ waterfall line. All plumbing is "TigerFlex" pipe, all lines plumbed individually. Deck: travertine glued over concrete.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ukie View Post
    No misconception at all. Just alternative method how to mix solids with water.
    In context outside of salt, I could see some value in using this method. Although many solid powders can also just be thrown into the pool without worry.

This contains the methods we recommend adding various chemicals: Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!