Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner- Total refill

1. Back To Top    #1

New Liner- Total refill

Back again after an endless Chicago winter. I'm getting a new liner installed next week with water being trucked in after. I have used the TFP method for 2 years with wonderful results. I'm pretty confident in the method but have a few questions about my new water fill. I know I need to get my CYA reading to about 40- should I calculate my shock level (10?) and add my bleach accordingly to keep it there until my overnight test passes? I know I shouldn't wait until my CYA reads 40 since that takes a while. Also, should worry about my ph right away or wait until I have my FC under control? I'm ordering all new test supplies today-TF100-So I'll be all set with that. Any other tips about getting a total refill adjusted would be appreciated.
    In ground 26,000 gal. 16x36 Avg depth-6'
    sand filter used 24/7
    auto cover

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: New Liner- Total refill

A complete refill should be nothing more than some SLAM necessary.

Get your water in the pool and test it immediately and post your results.

Have CYA on hand to get to 40 ppm and you could actually put it in right away.

Have chlorine on hand to get to about 5 ppm and put it in around the same time as your CYA
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: New Liner- Total refill

You shouldn't need to SLAM if the water is coming out of the tap. My usual advice is to add either the bleach or adjust the pH first, your choice. While that is mixing with the pump on, fumble around with the CYA and the sock and devising some method of hanging it. By the time that is done, the first treatment is done and you can do the other. Allow CYA a week to dissolve and mix before you waste reagent testing it again. Just keep maintaining pH and FC and if there's any question about low TA, post again.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!