Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covering an intex pool for the winter

1. Back To Top    #1

Covering an intex pool for the winter

I decided to keep my intex pool up for the winter. The cover that comes with it would just blow off in a light wind. So what I did was buy a tarp and use bungees to weight it down with filled up water bottles.

However, any time it weighed the cover would sag in the middle where the water accumulated. So I poked holes in the center so it wouldn't sag and the water would just go into the pool.

However I think due to the rainwater when it got warmer in April I got a ton of algae. Is there a better method/idea for covering your pool. From October to March the salt and cold weather didn't allow algae to grow. In mid march my pool was still crystal clear.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Covering an intex pool for the winter

If you want to prevent algae, you need to follow the methods described in Pool School for closing and opening. If you close when the water is in the 50s and open when the water is in the 50s, then that greatly reduces the likelihood of opening a green pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah my pool has been about 57 the last 2 weeks. I think that's when the algae hit. That and the fact it rained 4 inches last week.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it ok that the cover lets water get into the pool as long as it keeps out debris and leaves? Any of the covers I saw in the pool store would just have the rain sit on it and sag the cover. I'm worried if I tie the cover to the poles the weight of the water could sag a pole.