Should I fill or wait?

Oscar_M

Silver Supporter
May 4, 2014
Tulsa, Ok.
Hello everyone, just joined and thanks.
Here is a couple of my many questions. Inherited pool when I bought house last June. I knew I had leak when I closed pool last fall. My cover failed half way through winter, bought new cover. Took cover off yesterday and found about 24 inches of water and some debris on bottom but water is clear.
Here are my stats, Fc .5-1, ph 7.5-7.8, alkalinity 100, using last years test kit. Leslie's deluxe dpd test kit.
Water temp is 63F.
I started filling the pool while trying to find the leak with no success. I am guessing that the leak is on the side because of water still in pool. I am not having any luck finding the leak. I've stopped filling pool.
Here's my dilemma, do I keep filling pool so I can start circulating and adding chemicals or do I keep trying to find that dad gum leak and run the risk of creating other problems. How much time do I have from the water just standing , not circulating.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Since your water is over 60 degrees and your FC is likely too low (what is your CYA?), algae is imminent. Once the water goes green it is going to be much harder to see to find the leak.

So, I would think that getting the pool filled and running to keep the water clear and then you can get in and try to find the leak.

BTW, you should seriously consider investing in one of the Recommended Test Kits this year to you know what is going on in the water. Also take a look at Pool School if you have not already.

Thanks Jason. Pool is almost full. Hopefully tonight I can start vacuuming. I cannot measure CYA accurately right now I need to order one of the recommended test kits. Went to Leslie pools for test kit but they do not carry the one that measures FAS. They had never heard of that term. While there he mentioned dropping some chlorine tablets in pool which I did.
So here is my plan, as soon as possible I vacuum debris to waste, scrub pool, vacuum again to waste, tomorrow I add 1 qt. of algaecide and circulate, tomorrow night I add 3 lbs. of shock. Do you agree?

I have to add that right now I don't feel confident enough to try the BBB method until I get a better understanding of pool science.

We do not recommend the use of algaecides, there is not really a point if you maintain adequate FC.
I also do not recommend using any form of chlorine besides liquid (bleach) because you do not know your CH and CYA levels. See these to learn why:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You can not mix pool store and TFP methods. It will not work and will cause confusion. So if you want to save a lot of hassle and money. Order a kit, keep reading and ask questions.

Thanks Jason. Pool is almost full. Hopefully tonight I can start vacuuming.
[I]fine
[/I] I cannot measure CYA accurately right now I need to order one of the recommended test kits.
Excellent!. When you get that kit. Run all the tests & post them here so we can help
Went to Leslie pools for test kit but they do not carry the one that measures FAS. They had never heard of that term.
[I]you'll barely need Leslies in the future[/I]
While there he mentioned dropping some chlorine tablets in pool which I did.
So here is my plan, as soon as possible I vacuum debris to waste, scrub pool, vacuum again to waste,
fine
tomorrow I add 1 qt. of algaecide
may be unnecessary if water is clear. We normally use algecide only at closing for the winter unless a pro here advises otherwise
and circulate, tomorrow night I add 3 lbs. of shock.
You can add the shock now because you have it & are uncomfortable w BBB till your test kit comes. But TFP'rs only shock under certain conditions which you may not have but doing as you say will not harm & will tide you over for a few days hopefully till you get the test kit & post back the results[/I]

Do you agree?

I have to add that right now I don't feel confident enough to try the BBB method until I get a better understanding of pool science.

It will not take you long to get the hang of this... The pool store is trying to make money and they do that by selling chemicals... There are literally thousands of people who use this method, you just have to keep reading.... Taking control of your pool, is the most satisfying thing you can do, not to mention you will save heaps of money.... There is no need for algaecide....

Got home from work and my test kit was waiting for me on the porch, I ordered the K-2006. Read the manual at least twice, whew, there is bunch of good info in that little book. That was excellent advice on the test kit, thanks.

Anyway here are my results: FCC=2.5, CC=0, PH=7.6-7.8, TA=110 ppm, CH=150 ppm, CYA<30,
I know I'm going to have to buy more CYA reagent.

I took the algecide back, the store was very reluctant on taking it back claiming some kind of EPA Violation.

I've been using the tablets of chlorine w/stabilizer that I had left over from last year. I started with the floater wide open and when I seen my chlorine levels increase to 2-4 I backed off to one slit open, then I tested my water yesterday with last years test kit and didn't see any chlorine so I opened it back up.

So where to I go from here, my water is still clear, you guys were right I didn't need the algecide. I'm thinking I'm getting closer to trying the BBB method but I also bought a seasons supply of shock when I bought the algecide, trying to save money in the long run.

Can you take the shock back too? Once you maintain adequate FC, there is no need to periodically "shock".

What kind is it?

Your CYA needs to come up, but the tablets are slowly doing that.

I forgot to add that I still have a leak, I lose about a half inch every day.
I hate to admit it but I have a service guy scheduled to come out, I give up. I tried and couldn't find it. Water is cheap here but it's wasted water.

I didn't think of it when I returned the algecide. I'll try returning it first then ill try Cgslst. The brand is Pool Life Turboshock.
I still have a lot of reading to do and many questions. Such as what do I use to increase CYA. How much bleach to use to slam, stuff like that

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement. I've converted to the TFP method. I know I still have a lot to learn but I do feel empowered and for that, thank you.

FC 2.8, CC .2, PH 7.6, TA 110, CYA<30 as of Saturday afternoon, 5/10/14.

Added 4 lbs. of stabilizer Saturday evening. I will measure CYA tomorrow evening. I am aerating trying to get the PH up a little so I can add muriatic acid and bring down the TA just a little.

I also added 27oz. of bleach tonight, shooting for 4 on FC. I am anticipating the CYA coming in around 30 tomorrow.

I am posting this so if I am on the wrong track please let me know.

On a side note, I tried taking the shock back with no luck. I even asked for store credit, no luck. That's okay they won't be getting anymore of my business if I can help it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.