Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adjusting pool for summer

1. Back To Top    #1

Adjusting pool for summer

This is the beginning of my second season, I may or may not be a noobie, but could still use some guidance. We got a solar cover end of last year, left it on all winter to keep leaves, etc., out. So this year, I've been opening the pool, most weekends, kids have been swimming. I thought the levels were ok,, the quick yellow/red test kit showed good pH and chlorine at 2-3 (a little low for BBB method I think).

When I got my tf100 test kit, I was surprised all the CYA disappeared over the winter...
    April 22, water temp 67
    FC 2
    TA 60
    CH 50
    CYA 0
    ...I added 4 lbs stabilizer, all I had, and ordered more.

April 30' water temp 70
    FC 1.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 50
    CH 25
    CYA 30
    ...I added 6 more lbs stabilizer
    Also noticed a brown/green algae forming along the bottom. I scrubbed that, and am super chlorinating with the SWG.
    I have my pump running 8 hrs on low in the morning, then 4hrs on high generating chlorine at 20% from 1-5pm. I think I need to get more percentage and/ or high pump runtime.
    Yesterday the pH was low at 6.8. Will that balance out, or should I be adding some baking soda?

We've had loads of pollen here, and with lots of trees nearby, quite a bit of organic matter has been blown into the pool lately.

Do my numbers look ok? I'll test again midweek to let the CYA dissolve.
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adjusting pool for summer

Super chlorinating with the SWG isn't always a good idea. It shortens the life of the cell, and normally can't keep up with the algae growth. Best is to follow the SLAM as shown in Pool School to rid yourself of the algae.

Your FC is definitely too low, so how about your CC? You need to get some LC into that pool ASAP. bring it up to at least the level appropriate to your target CYA.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Would have been better not to have added the extra stabilizer. The CYA of 30 would have been ideal for the SLAM.
    What CYA level did you aim for ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oops. CC was 0.5 both test days. I was shooting for 75 CYA, isn't that the recommended levels for SWG ? I need to retread the slam
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeT View Post
    Oops. CC was 0.5 both test days. I was shooting for 75 CYA, isn't that the recommended levels for SWG ? I need to retread the slam
    Yes that's the CYA level for a SWG. The lower CYA level makes the SLAM process easier by having to use less bleach if you have to SLAM.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

looks like I better start the SLAM process. Unfortuntately, my schedule is pretty packed, and I won't be around this weekend. I think a big problem is in my cartridge filters; I havent found time to clean them yet this year.
    OCLT:
    9pm FC 12.5, CC1.0, CYA 70, pH7.2
    6am FC 11.0, CC1.0
    the water's been clear, just noticed a little algae buildup on the bottom after I bumped the CYA from 0 to 30 2 weeks ago. I scrubbed the entire pool last weekend, it still "looks" good, but the numbers don't show that.

7. Back To Top    #7

The only thing filters have in common with a SLAM is cleaning out the dead algae. Chemistry is the only culprit in getting a green pool.

SLAM away! And may your SLAM be sort.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

8. Back To Top    #8

Now I'm a little confused, I have more chlorine this morning since last night.
    9:00pm FC 12.5, CC 1.0...TC 13.5
    6:30am FC 13.5, CC 0.5...TC 14.0

The pump is off all night, it kicks on low speed at 5am. I didn't think it generates chlorine on low, yesterday's OCLT support that theory, but now I'm not sure.
    Then there could be operator error counting the drops

Edit: I also have a blue solar cover on, so daytime chlorine loss due to UV should be minimal. I have the pump running on high for 4hrs with the SWG set at 40%

9. Back To Top    #9

During a SLAM, you need to be running your pump 24/7, low would be adequate. Your SWG should be off, and you should be dosing with only LC.

Chances are high that it was an error counting drops. To avoid that, I use the 10ml sample size, and count 1/2, 1, 1/2, 2.....you get the idea.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, I think I'm getting the hang of this.
    Sunday 7:30am
    FC 13.5
    CC 0..5
    pH 7.2
    TA 70
    CH 25
    CYA 60

water is clear, plenty of kids enjoyed it throughout the day. SWG was set to 10%, pump ran on high most of the day.

Sun.8:30pm FC 12.0, CC 1.0...TC 13.0
    ran pump on low overnight, SWG off
    Mon.6:15am FC 11.5, CC 0.5...TC 12.0

So in addition to solar loss and small outgassing, the FC decreases by 'attacking' biological stuff, turns into CC, which the filter traps? I was surprised to see a CC drop overnight...it must be in the filter?
    My plan is to keep the SWG at 5-10% until the FC settles around 5, then test/maintain/enjoy.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeT View Post

So in addition to solar loss and small outgassing, the FC decreases by 'attacking' biological stuff, turns into CC, which the filter traps?
    Not quite. CCs go through further chemical reactions, but the end result is that they break up and their component parts either outgas (nitrogen gas) or stay in the water (more hypochlorous acid, plus leftover ions). Bottom line, CCs break up, the bad stuff goes away, and the byproducts that are left in the pool are completely benign.

The filter will trap particulate matter, like dust, dirt, pollen, algae carcasses, etc.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

Last week, the air temp dropped where swimming was undesirable and we got a good amount of rain. I tested Friday night...
    FC 5.5
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 60
    CH 25
    CYA 60
    I was surprised to see so much FC drop, so dialed the SWG up to 20%.

I'm feeling good about my test results from tonight...
    FC 5.0
    CC 0.5
    pH 7.2
    TA 60
    CH 25
    CYA 60

I'm happy I seemed to have found a setup thats kept the FC pretty consitent. Perhaps I should add 5% to the SWG?

Should I be 'fine tuning' the pH up to 7.6 and try to get the CYA to 75? I guess the SWG would increase with CYA. I have Borax and CYA powders at home, thinking about adding 4lbs Borax and 3lbs CYA to get closer to nominal recommendations.

13. Back To Top    #13

Try running with the CYA at 60. If it doesn't work - you'll know. But yes, I'd bump the PH up with Borax.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

14. Back To Top    #14

I wouldn't raise your pH higher than 7.4 as it's going to go up on its own from your SWG.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

15. Back To Top    #15

With a TA of 60 I don't think you'll see too much PH drift even with the SWG. Target 7.4... you can always adjust if you feel it necessary...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

16. Back To Top    #16

PoolPal shows I need 2.8lbs Borax to get to pH 7.4...I'll try that out. thanks