Station upgrade help

First post but lurking a long time.
Pool was built 20 years ago and I have maybe 3 yrs left before a re-plaster (No stains or cracks yet) I bought the house 3 months ago and with TFP help have learned allot.

I cant ID the DE filter but it seems to be in good shape and a heavy built housing.
Both pumps make more noise then they should and after taking my filter pump apart i was surprised to find the impeller split in half, all the seals and bearing are toast as well.
Now my plan was to upgrade later but now seems to be the time.
The big factor is my electricity cost is going to be a tier 3 $.24 KW and would like to add solar panels to the system down the road.
With these factors a VF pumps seems to be my best option?
Is there way to eliminate my booster pump by getting a larger main pump?

Pics of current system with main pump removed.
2014-05-03%2010.45.31.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

First your cleaner requires a booster pump. To eliminate the booster, you would have to get a different cleaner ... maybe consider a robot.

With your power costs, a VS pump likely makes since. I would not recommend a VF pump though. There are some smaller more basic VS pumps available now that work well for people without high flow needs (spa, waterfall, etc) and no automation systems.

Welcome to TFP!

First your cleaner requires a booster pump. To eliminate the booster, you would have to get a different cleaner ... maybe consider a robot.

With your power costs, a VS pump likely makes since. I would not recommend a VF pump though. There are some smaller more basic VS pumps available now that work well for people without high flow needs (spa, waterfall, etc) and no automation systems.

Will a robot work with vacuum so I can remove the booster?
I ordered a pentair 11018 from amazon. I Know it's over kill but it will give options down the road and no big loss in power consumption if ran at a lower speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

A robot does not require a pump at all, they are self contained. Or you could get a suction cleaner, or a pressure cleaner that does not need a booster (but may not work if your pressure line is small).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.