Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main drain or skimmer box.

1. Back To Top    #1
    GSO, NC

Main drain or skimmer box.

My 36x18 IG rectangular pool has 2 main drains in the deep end and 2 skimmer boxes, one in the deep end, one in then shallow end. Over at the pump, there are 2 valves on the suction side, ones for the main drains and one for the skimmer boxes. What ratio of main drain to skimmer box should I be set at. I usually leave the skimmers wide open, then close the main drain for vacuuming.
    TF100 kit, 26k Gallon 18x36 Vinyl inground by Blue Haven Pool, TurboCell T-15 SWG, SmartPure ozonator,
    Hayward SmartFilter cartridge with 1.5hp dual spd. Hayward SmartMax Star Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mexico, MO

Re: Main drain or skimmer box.

That is really a personal preference. For me, it would be 25% main drain 75% skimmers just to keep some circulation at the bottom of the deep end.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Main drain or skimmer box.

Stare at the motion in the skimmers with the main drains closed, then ease the main open until you start to see some noticeable change in the skimmer. Done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!