Heating water- new to pools

May 4, 2014
Vermont
I was wondering if there was a pump that turns itself on and off when the sun hits an attached solar panel? I would like to attach some black hose to it.
Living in Vermont, the sun is variable, so I would waste a lot of energy leaving a pump on all the time, or setting it to specific hours during the day (when the sun might be hidden.) I plan to connect 400 feet of black hose that would simply drip back into the pool.
Is there an existing, self regulating solar panel/ pool water heater already out there? I have an in ground 24,000 addition to the family.

There are a number of solar controllers that will turn your pool pump on and off and operate diverter valve actuators, the most common and cheapest is the Hayward Goldline GL-235, I have a Goldline Aqua-Solar controller which is a little fancier with built in timer and digital temperature display, also the Pentair Suntouch is a popular more modern choice. As to the black hose, unless you already having it laying around using a commercial panel or set of panels will provide much better results, probably at an equal or possibly even lower cost. The simple fact is nothing you can make can compete with the performance, econonics of operations, and often the cost to build of a commercial poly solar panel. The commercial panels absorb more heat per unit area, they provide low resistances parallel water flow through the panels which makes pumping water through them easier on your pump, etc.

Ike

ps here is a link to my solar install / upgrade thread from last year http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/54481-Solar-Panel-Replacement-Update

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.